Why don't we admit that iOS does NOT have actual threaded email?

NegroNapoleon

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
When you're in gmail and you want to see the message you JUST replied to someone with an email, it shows it to you inline with all of the received messages from that person. It's a real thread. You can see who replies and you can also keep up with what you send.

Mail in iOS is NOT threaded email. If I reply to an email and I then want to review the message I sent to someone, I must exit the inbox, then scroll down to the accounts tab, then click on any one of the three accounts I have, then find the "send" tab, and hope to figure out which email I was replying to when I sent that message. It's horribly inefficient.

Even further, on iOS' Mail if you reply to a message or forward a message, all you can see is a little arrow showing a forward or a "curled" arrow implying a reply...but there is no way to see that reply inline with the emails you're receiving.

Above all, this is my BIGGEST pet peeve with iOS 6 mail. Way bigger than the lack of labels, or bigger than the fact that exchange emails don't play nice with notification center.

Only being able to view messages you receive from a contact is NOT threaded messaging. Threads incorporate what you send out as well. The desktop/web version of gmail does this. The Gmail app for iOS does this. Apple's Mail, does not.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When you're in gmail and you want to see the message you JUST replied to someone with an email, it shows it to you inline with all of the received messages from that person. It's a real thread. You can see who replies and you can also keep up with what you send.

Mail in iOS is NOT threaded email. If I reply to an email and I then want to review the message I sent to someone, I must exit the inbox, then scroll down to the accounts tab, then click on any one of the three accounts I have, then find the "send" tab, and hope to figure out which email I was replying to when I sent that message. It's horribly inefficient.

Even further, on iOS' Mail if you reply to a message or forward a message, all you can see is a little arrow showing a forward or a "curled" arrow implying a reply...but there is no way to see that reply inline with the emails you're receiving.

Above all, this is my BIGGEST pet peeve with iOS 6 mail. Way bigger than the lack of labels, or bigger than the fact that exchange emails don't play nice with notification center.

Only being able to view messages you receive from a contact is NOT threaded messaging. Threads incorporate what you send out as well. The desktop/web version of gmail does this. The Gmail app for iOS does this. Apple's Mail, does not.

Thank you for that clarification. Not sure who said iOS Mail did threaded messaging, but I agree. It does not.

NegroNapoleon

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed that this is an annoyance. Interestingly, this issue occurs in Apple's Mail on both iOS and OSX, and Outlook for the Mac but not Outlook on Windows.

Mail on OS X actually does the conversation view that shows you your replies in line with the messages you receive within the subject thread.

Its only iOS that doesn't do this.

NegroNapoleon

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just checked my Mac and it does show my replies.

So iOS doesn't do it and neither does Outlook for Mac.

MAIL.app on OS X does it.

I've done it personally. I'm pretty sure about Outlook as well. You might have to enable it because I know some others on OS X that run outlook and can do it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely NOT a solution, but if you want a workaround you can enable "Always BCC Myself" in Settings>Mail. That comes with its own problems though.

If it's a must-have, using a 3rd party mail client is the way to go, unfortunately.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You could always download the gmail app from the AppStore it was just updated and runs terrifically and has push notifications.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK sorry if I'm ignorant here and not understanding what you guys are talking about but in my messages I have a unified mailbox so I don't have to search for any message because all three of my accounts live in my Inbox. Then if I go to a message it opens showing me 3 or 4, etc. messages that was sent from that contact on the same topic. In the first email I tap it also shows a number to tell me how many emails are in the "thread". I'm not sure if that is what you guys are talking about or something totally different?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
OK sorry if I'm ignorant here and not understanding what you guys are talking about but in my messages I have a unified mailbox so I don't have to search for any message because all three of my accounts live in my Inbox. Then if I go to a message it opens showing me 3 or 4, etc. messages that was sent from that contact on the same topic. In the first email I tap it also shows a number to tell me how many emails are in the "thread". I'm not sure if that is what you guys are talking about or something totally different?

I think the issue is simply that if you open one of those threads and reply to it, your reply won't be included in what Apple considers the "threaded" view unless someone else then replies to your reply. To see those you have to back out of your inbox and go to the Sent folder; true threaded mail would have them in the thread viewable in the Inbox.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm a little late to the party, but what the heck prompted the question, "why don't we admit that iOS does not have threaded email"? I mean, I don't recall reading about people screaming from the rooftops that iOS had it. Am I missing something?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the issue is simply that if you open one of those threads and reply to it, your reply won't be included in what Apple considers the "threaded" view unless someone else then replies to your reply. To see those you have to back out of your inbox and go to the Sent folder; true threaded mail would have them in the thread viewable in the Inbox.

🆗 now I got you 😄

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know I'm a little late to the party, but what the heck prompted the question, "why don't we admit that iOS does not have threaded email"? I mean, I don't recall reading about people screaming from the rooftops that iOS had it. Am I missing something?

Apple announced it as a feature in like iOS 5?? can't remember which version.