iPhone 4 Restore, Jailbreak, Unlock Help

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to fix an iPhone 4 for a coworker, someone unlocked it for her and in the process, Cydia and Safari were rendered useless. They both crash when trying to open them. It's a GSM AT&T iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1 baseband 04.12.01 on T-Mobile. I don't know how it was jailbroken or unlocked, I have been trying all night to restore it to 5.1, 5.1.1, a custom jailbroken 5.1.1 and nothing works. I kept getting an error ending in "This device in not eligible for the requested build. Edited my hosts and whatnot, after trying to follow another guide, I put the iPhone in DFU mode through redsn0w and ran a server through TinyUmbrella and tried restoring again through iTunes and this time got error 1600. From what I've read, it seems as though it's impossible to restore to iOS 5.X because Apple's server no longer allows it.. or something like that? I'm confused and don't know what to do to fix this phone. I've sent AT&T a request to unlock it for me, if they decide to do so, it will take a week to get that unlocked, and even then I might not be able to update to iOS 6 because of whatever is wrong here. Please help! Thanks in advance

Mike

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
By the sound of things the iPhone has a tethered jailbreak. (Google the term if you want to learn more)
Basically you need to get redsn0w, go to Extra and use the Just Boot option. That should restore functionality.

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm working on have it unlocked by AT&T. Which if they unlock it for me, I won't even need it to be jailbroken, but I won't get a response from AT&T for a week and this is my coworkers current phone.

I'm aware what the difference between untethered and tethered jailbreak is, didn't know it would stop me from being able to restore an iPhone to factory..? I did follow a guide to jailbreak it with redsn0w which said it was supposed to be untethered, but when it finished it said it was tethered, don't know if it just reactivated whatever jailbreak had been done before. Any advice how to move on?

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
After booting through redsn0w, safari and cydia work.. now what do I do to restore? How can I get rid of this tethered jailbreak and install an untethered one? Is this tether the reason I haven't been able to restore or just the reason safari and cydia crashed?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
On cydia you need corona which untethers the 5.0.1 jailbreak

I thought there never was a jailbreak for 5.1 I thought there was just a tethered for 5.0.1 and an untethered for 5.1.1 for all devices...

Mike4391

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! I got an e-mail today from AT&T confirming my eligibility to unlock the iPhone, so I just updated to iOS 6.0.1 and left it un JailBroken with a factory unlock. I appreciate everyones help and I hope it helps others with the same problems. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen