iPhone 4 Jailbrocken but now stuck in Activation after removing SAM

Craig420

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey All,
This is my first post, so thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I am relatively new to the whole jailbreaking scene (I have done so on other devices in the past but never iOS).
So anyways to get to the point, I have an iPhone 4 16GB and I managed to jailbreak the device, install Cydia and from there SAM (in an attempt to unlock the phone from its carrier) and fortunately openSSH.
The device was working fine although would not accept any SIM card, so I figured my best bet would be to reinstall SAM as I had probably messed up the configuration somewhere.
So I uninstalled SAM and Cydia rebooted the device, which now launches to the Apple Activation screen! This is a huge problem as I have no idea what carrier the phone was originally on so I cannot activate the device.
Luckily I did root the device before all this, so when it boots to activation I can still SSH into the device, so the rest of the software must still be running somewhere.
I just need to be able to get back into iOS and bypass this activation so I guess my question is: How can I install SAM/bypass activation over SSH?
Thanks again guys, any help is much appreciated.
-Craig

Craig420

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled from Cydia so I assume it would remove SAM and any dependencies that only SAM is using.
I will have a go later on tonight at seeing if I can get a deb file for SAM and install it over SSH- sorry I took so long to reply, the thread got buried.
Thanks,
-Lifeis

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled from Cydia so I assume it would remove SAM and any dependencies that only SAM is using.
I will have a go later on tonight at seeing if I can get a deb file for SAM and install it over SSH- sorry I took so long to reply, the thread got buried.
Thanks,
-Lifeis

Cydia only uninstalls what you tell it, UNLESS you uninstall a dependency, then it will also uninstall the dependent program. So more than likely what happened was you just uninstalled SAM...
Sounds like you two are on the right track....

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If my memory serves, the two things you need to install are SAM and SAMPrefs. The rest should already be on the device.

Craig420

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,
Thanks very much for your help, I am getting closer.
I was able to use FileZilla to create the AutoInstall directory as per your instructions and copy over the SAM & SAMPref deb files then restart the phone.
Now the phone boots up to the screensaver (the bubble image, you know what I mean) and says "Activation Required", when I then go okay it fails saying the SIM is incorrect.
This is much closer as it does not load to the multiple language Apple start screen as before and I am pretty sure it is failing as SAM is emulating the wrong carrier.
So my next question is how to change SAM's settings over SSH to begin the long task of trying each and every carrier until hopefully one works.
Thanks in advance,
-Craig

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here my knowledge starts to diminish.

Try connecting the phone a few times to iTunes. SAM *might* configure itself (assuming you left it on automatic detection before you uninstalled it).

Also try booting the phone without a SIM card.

Apart from that I can't offer too much information. I've never tinkered with SAM on a file system basis. If the above didn't help and if you can't find more information on the web, you might have to restore your phone. If it comes to that, research the topic of saving SHSH blobs before you hit that restore button in iTunes.

shaniprasangika2011

May 3, 2013
Visit site
hey craig,

i also got the same problem with my iphone 4s recently.
i removed sam from cydia and then the phone got stuck on the activation screen.
previously i could get the full access to the phone though activation screen came.
but in this case it's different, i can't do anything..
can't activate it since i also do not have the original sim or details with me.

hey please be kind enough to help me on this case. please..

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hey craig,

i also got the same problem with my iphone 4s recently.
i removed sam from cydia and then the phone got stuck on the activation screen.
previously i could get the full access to the phone though activation screen came.
but in this case it's different, i can't do anything..
can't activate it since i also do not have the original sim or details with me.

hey please be kind enough to help me on this case. please..

Why would you remove SAM? When was the last time you backed up your phone?

Sara Vukicevic

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So i have an iphone 4, 6.1.3, and it worked fine it wasn't jailbroken or unlocked i used it without sim card, and it didnt support any, and i never encountered an activation screen before.. I jailbroke it using redsnow(thetered JB), it worked fine, until sydia downloaded something, and now i can't boot it, it brings me always back to activation screen.. i tried booting it in safe mode, nothing helps, it loads the pineapple logo, ant at the same end, loads apple logo, and - activation screen...

My question is, if i restored it using itunes in recovery mode, and of course download the latest update os 7, and lose JB, will it get rid of activation screen, since a never encountered it before to begin with??

Please help, i regret so much now that i JB it in the first place, and made things so much worse??

Iphone4_al

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello, could you please help me because i have the same problem and I understand you. It has been 2 years since this issue, but i'm facing it now and there is no solution anywhere. So what did you do with your phone please?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2