Can somebody please explain how passbook works?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I still have not grasped the concept of passbook. What is the difference if you have the apps on your screen in folders or in passbook? for example, I have starbucks app. It keeps telling me to use the passbook app for the app? whats the difference if i leave the app in the folder or put it in passbook? Plus i dont even know how to add it to passbook?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I still have not grasped the concept of passbook. What is the difference if you have the apps on your screen in folders or in passbook? for example, I have starbucks app. It keeps telling me to use the passbook app for the app? whats the difference if i leave the app in the folder or put it in passbook? Plus i dont even know how to add it to passbook?

Generally speaking, think of Passbook as a payment system. Instead of reaching inside your wallet to pay, just display the card via the Passbook app. Walgreens, Starbucks, Fandango and others all have individual apps that contain their specific cards. Passbook can hold all of them in one place. Adding cards to Passbook is not standardized at this point. At least not in my experience. For instance, it has been reported that a movie ticket must first be purchased before that ticket can be displayed in Passbook. The Starbucks and Walgreens cars are pretty straightforward. There's an option in those individual apps that will add the cards to Passbook. Passbook is a work in progress. Anyway, my description of Passbook is very simple and by no mean fully describes it and how it works.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Think of passbook as an aggregator. In it's present form, it's similar to those keyring apps that hold all your loyalty cards, but on steroids. At present, is supports loyalty cards, tickets, boarding passes, and gift cards/payment cards from some vendors.

The advantage of using passbook over those other apps is that it's all in one location. Instead of having to open your United Airlines app, the boarding pass is stored in passbook, same for your Walgreens loyalty card, same for your Starbucks card, same for your baseball game ticket. In addition, it also offers geofencing, so that it pops up on the lockscreen when you're at a specific location. For example, if you're at Starbucks, the Starbucks card will automatically pop up on the screen. If you're at the airport, your boarding pass will pop up. It doesn't always work right, as people have said, but I'm sure it will get better. Eventually, after some major changes to worldwide payments systems infrastructure, passbook could conceivably be used as a wallet replacement. Electronic wallet is still in it's infancy, it'll take a bit of time before standards are realized and a significant number of vendors have the necessary equipment to accept payments via cellphone. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Plus i dont even know how to add it to passbook?

Open the Starbucks app to your Starbucks card of choice (if you have more than one). Tap "Manage" and it will open some options including "Add Card to Passbook." Tap it and it will add to your Passbook. If you set your "Favorite Stores," Passbook will show your Starbucks card on the lockscreen when you're near/inside your chosen stores.

BBooDad

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the tip here! Now Passbook will hopefully actually do something.... before this tip, was a resounding FAIL. I still think it is pretty lamely implemented, such as with Fandango, where I have yet to figure out how it integrates with Passbook, despite downloading via Passbook. Seems to me devs should be able to put in a Passbook link/property so that when you install/first use, it just pops up a requester for permission, just like locations and push notifications. Good thing Apple didn't try to push this like they did Maps! Hopefully will work better in 6.1 I guess.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the tip here! Now Passbook will hopefully actually do something.... before this tip, was a resounding FAIL. I still think it is pretty lamely implemented, such as with Fandango, where I have yet to figure out how it integrates with Passbook, despite downloading via Passbook. Seems to me devs should be able to put in a Passbook link/property so that when you install/first use, it just pops up a requester for permission, just like locations and push notifications. Good thing Apple didn't try to push this like they did Maps! Hopefully will work better in 6.1 I guess.

Go HERE via your iPhone's Safari app and peruse the coupons. Adding the coupons to your Passbook is as easy as pie. Simply click on "Add to Passbook" and the coupon(s) will be added. Period.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2