iMessage issues over WiFi with iOS6?

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having issues with iMessage over WiFi using iOS6? Ever since I went to iOS6/iPhone 5, I cannot send an iMessage text over my work's WiFi. Before, with iOS5 on an iPhone 4, this was never an issue. Anyways, with my iPhone 5 when I try to send a text using iMessage the bar a the top slowly increases and then stops 90% of the way and then after about a minute it states that the text was "not delivered."

Anyone else experience this and if so, did you find a fix for it?

FYI, iMessage works fine using LTE.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's really helpful

These are the "questions" the OP asked:

1. Is anyone else having issues with iMessage over WiFi using iOS6?

2. Anyone else experience this and if so, did you find a fix for it?

My response: Nope. Works fine for me.

Having said that, I spend a great deal of time reading the iMore forum and I try my best to help people with problems they may be having with their device(s) every chance I get, but there are times when I can't help. Not because I don't want to but because I don't know how. Then there are times like this when I simply answer an OP's question(s). Sometimes my answer is long and sometimes it is not. So instead of posting a retort to my reply, how about posting something that might be helpful to the OP or at least answer his or her questions like I did. Take care and have a safe & pleasant night. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Why do you say that? I'm only asking because my wife and I are having the same issues on 4s with iOS 6 and we use Comcast for home network. No problem using iOS 5 though

The problem is your Comcast gateway it's blocking you
You can fix it by getting a router and bridging your gateway to your new router or get a stand alone cable modem and use that with a router ...
The gateway is blocking a port that it uses that's why it's happening

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem is your Comcast gateway it's blocking you
You can fix it by getting a router and bridging your gateway to your new router or get a stand alone cable modem and use that with a router ...
The gateway is blocking a port that it uses that's why it's happening

got a router.........still having same issue only this time its just pictures over iMessage

cs_cabrone

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue the second I updated my g/fs 4s to iOS6 and the second I turned on my 5. It was not an issue on her phone prior to the update. I've tried it at other places such as starbucks and it does work. We both have sprint and we are subject to the terrible gateway that is provided with comcast service. The model is Arris TG862G/GT and it has raging issues with xbox live even when hard wired. I have called comcast and they suggested bridge mode, too.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue the second I updated my g/fs 4s to iOS6 and the second I turned on my 5. It was not an issue on her phone prior to the update. I've tried it at other places such as starbucks and it does not work, but on 3G it is fine. We both have sprint and we are subject to the terrible gateway that is provided with comcast service. The model is Arris TG862G/GT and it has raging issues with xbox live even when hard wired. I have called comcast and they suggested bridge mode, too.

However, I'm confused as iMessage seems to fail @ school too. I will check it again tomorrow but I've called Apple Care and they said it sounds like replacing the phone is not going to help and so far they have had me wipe and restore and wipe and start fresh. Nothing has fixed the iMessage issues. Mine gets hung up for about 8 mins blocking all outgoing traffic to that particular recipient and then sends it as a text message out of order once it fails.

I would bridge and put a router on the gateway with a diff subnet

cs_cabrone

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
to confirm, a simple reset (not a factory reset, but a power off and back on) fixed the issues? Not the case here on my gateway ;-(

Aditionally, what would the best settings be for this unit and play nicely with the iphone?

It's currently set up WPA2-PSK (TKIP)

Last edited: