Frustrating: Restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4?

krouxsa

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. My first post and have been trying to restore 5.1.1 ever since I switched to 6.0.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. I have followed everything on the guide and it's as near perfect as can be.
I got as far as getting the iPhone out of recovery mode, but were stuck with the "missing keys.plist data for this build" when I tried.
I then searched on all other forums and I searched on iDownloadBlog and eventually found some more advice if you are stuck with getting it out of Recovery.

So all the steps as mentioned by Snownation is correct, but if you are also stuck with the "missing keys.plist data for this build error", then do the following...

Download sn0wbreeze 2.9.6
1. Use sn0wbreeze and create ipsw with baseband preservation mode using the original 5.1.1 ispw.
2. Go back to Redsn0w. Also at first I had the wrong version of redsn0w. Make sure to use version 0.9.14b2. Version 0.9.13dev4 will not work.
3. Stich the SHSH Blobs using the newly created IPSW that you did in sn0wbreeze. This will then result in a redsn0w ipsw being created, which is the one you will use.
4. Follow the same instructions from there what is posted above ie. Put in pwned DFU, Start Start TS Server in TU, Shift-click restore and point towards the ipsw created in redsn0w.
5. Let it restore. You will notice that it doesnt encounter any -1 error. A popup window in iTunes will notify that the iPhone is being restarted.
6. And it's restored from 6.0 to 5.1.1

I have tested 3 times now and all 3 times works perfectly.

Thanks everyone on this forum, it's great to be back on a working 5.1.1!!!

Kunal Kalra

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
iSin I am having the same problem as u faced while restoring. This posts is a great help for me as it is already been discussed.
May I know how did u succeeded to get rid of 16xx errors ?

crashnburn_in

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I need update an iPhone 4..
TO: iOS 5.1.1 & JB

I've been reading all these posts and its a lot of data that I am going through - In the meantime, this seems like a simple & clear outline - Is this correct/ will it work?
Even though this is to go from iOS 6 to iOS5.x I am basically going from 4.2.1 to 5.1.1. I hope this would work (one of the latest set of instructions)
http://www.iclarified.com/25182/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-4-from-ios-6x-to-ios-5x-windows

Alt:
Downgrade iPhone 4 / 3GS from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 | The iPhone FAQ

Ok, finally got it to work.

The only thing I did wrong was use TU to kick out of recovery. Apparently, that's not the proper way in this case.
Must be redsn0w's own kicker.

So, do what 3cit said, then use the option in redsn0w to exit recovery mode, you'll be set.

@3cit Yup, the restore will fail with a (-1) error. After using redsn0w to kick out of recovery, it goes through the jailbreaking process, but does not actually jailbreak it, it's applying the exploit to reboot it apparently.
Then you'd need to Absinthe it for the untethered JB.

The TU method actually does work as said by a dev, but he said you must uncheck the "Open iTunes when this phone is connected" option. I didn't have that done, so that's why TU method didn't work.

My error is the (-1) one, not the (1) one.

The correct procedure is to stitch your shsh into the corresponding firmware.
Put the phone into pwned DFU.
The above is all done using redsn0w.

Then, start the tss server in TU,
Open itunes, Shift-click restore, and point to the newly created .ipsw file.
Let it restore and encounter the error.

Then kick out of recovery using redsn0w.

Hi everyone. My first post and have been trying to restore 5.1.1 ever since I switched to 6.0.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. I have followed everything on the guide and it's as near perfect as can be.
I got as far as getting the iPhone out of recovery mode, but were stuck with the "missing keys.plist data for this build" when I tried.
I then searched on all other forums and I searched on iDownloadBlog and eventually found some more advice if you are stuck with getting it out of Recovery.

So all the steps as mentioned by Snownation is correct, but if you are also stuck with the "missing keys.plist data for this build error", then do the following...

Download sn0wbreeze 2.9.6
1. Use sn0wbreeze and create ipsw with baseband preservation mode using the original 5.1.1 ispw.
2. Go back to Redsn0w. Also at first I had the wrong version of redsn0w. Make sure to use version 0.9.14b2. Version 0.9.13dev4 will not work.
3. Stich the SHSH Blobs using the newly created IPSW that you did in sn0wbreeze. This will then result in a redsn0w ipsw being created, which is the one you will use.
4. Follow the same instructions from there what is posted above ie. Put in pwned DFU, Start Start TS Server in TU, Shift-click restore and point towards the ipsw created in redsn0w.
5. Let it restore. You will notice that it doesnt encounter any -1 error. A popup window in iTunes will notify that the iPhone is being restarted.
6. And it's restored from 6.0 to 5.1.1

I have tested 3 times now and all 3 times works perfectly.

Thanks everyone on this forum, it's great to be back on a working 5.1.1!!!

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I need update an iPhone 4..
TO: iOS 5.1.1 & JB

I've been reading all these posts and its a lot of data that I am going through - In the meantime, this seems like a simple & clear outline - Is this correct/ will it work?
Even though this is to go from iOS 6 to iOS5.x I am basically going from 4.2.1 to 5.1.1. I hope this would work (one of the latest set of instructions)
iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 4 From iOS 6.x to iOS 5.x (Windows)

Alt:
Downgrade iPhone 4 / 3GS from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 | The iPhone FAQ

you have been jailbroken the entire time and you have 5.1.1 blobs for your device?

TECHNICALLY you should just be able to use redsnow 15b3 and get to the restore section and select the 5.1.1 ipsw.
so try that method first.
1. download the proper 5.1.1 ipsw for your source of choice... make sure it is specifically for your device (ie iphone 4 cdma, or iphone 4 gsm)
2. redsnow 15b3 (the latest release)
3. try that restore method.

let us know!

crashnburn_in

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The RedSnow Stitched CFW variant was not working. So I followed the SnowBreeze alternative.
restore - Error in restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4 using custom IPSW - Ask Different

Thank you. I hit THANKS button and followed this process and now have iOS 511b/r1 on the iPhone 4 - Setup as New Phone (as per 2nd Quoted post - From Layout related thread).

I have now Cydia and AppSync 5.0 running on the phone.

Now I am planning to follow the process given in the 2nd quoted post.. for a RESTORE which maintains the SpringBoard, Apps, Folders and all other Layouts.

Now, I am finding this a bit of a Mixup/ Confusing.
The ORDER in which the following two are to be restored is different in both the quoted posts:
- Cydia Apps (via PKGBackup) - CA
- JB Apps (via iTunes 'Restore from Backup' + AppSync) - JBA

Now, I am very keen in having them syncback and LARGELY MAINTAIN the "App & Folder" Layout on SpringBoard.

How can I make that happen for sure?

Which RESTORE order would be better?
- CA > JBA
- JBA > CA

or a Stacked Triple Step - CA > JBA > CA .... OR... JBA > CA > JBA

Add to that other LAYOUT SAVING Alternatives that I have backups for??
- Layout as saved in and from iTunes Backup Restore
- Using Springtomize, FolderEnhancer & Grid etc LAYOUT backups? In the end or middle?
- BackIt!
-XBackup
- SpringBack
- Springtomize

Thoughts and Suggestions please?

:nono: Wrong approach

Here's the appropriate approach to upgrading:
1.) First you'll have to open Cydia and ensure it has your SHSH blob for iOS 5.1.1 save, if not, your only hope is to upgrade to the latest 5.X SHSH it (Cydia) lists at the top of its home page (keep note of it). If no 5.X firmware is listed, you're out of luck; skip to step 11.)

2.) Backup your device using Package Backup from Cydia; this is the safefest way to get all your settings back while avoiding issues in the future (restoring from iTunes backup is well know to cause problems)

3.) Download the latest versions of both Sn0wbreeze and TinyUmbrella

4.) Ensure iTunes is closed then connect your device to your computer, open up TinyUmbrella, select your device under its "Connected Devices" tree menu, click the "Advanced" tab and ensure "Request SHSH From Cydia" is checked. Keeping note of the "Save SHSH Directory", click the "Save SHSH" button

5.) Open Sn0breeze, use it to download the iOS firmware corresponding to the latest 5.X you kept a note of from step 1.). Once the download is complete, use it (in iFaith mode) to create a Signed CFW of the latest 5.X SHSH blob you saw in Cydia

6.) After the CFW has been created, follow Sn0breeze's instructions to get your device into Pwned DFU mode.

7.) Open up iTunes and it should detect your device in recovery mode; hold down the "Shift"/"Option" key then click the "Restore" button, browse for your SIGNED custom firmware and let iTunes upgrade and jailbreak your iPhone.

8.) When the process is complete, set up your iPhone as a NEW device, if you don't use cracked apps, skip to step 10.) otherwise proceed to step 9.)

9.) Open cydia, add the following repo and install AppSync from it (the official Hackulous repo is dead, incase you didn't know):
repo.ipastore.me​

10.) Sync all your desired apps from iTunes to your iPhone, reinstall PkgBackup from Cydia and use it to restore your repos, tweaks and app/tweak settings

11.) Done :D

This is how I did & work fine for me many many time:
-Backup (using iTunes), + Chinese soft-91pc (Contact & others)
-Backup Springboard layout
\User\Library\SpringBoard\*

-Restore
-setup as new iphone (for 4s Absinthe/Cinject to work)
-JB
-install Mobile Terminal & changes passwords (alpine)
-install Appsync
-Restore from 91pc backup
-Install Springtomized 2 (I reduced my icons, column & row), respring
-Install FolderEnhancer (Reboot, resprint)
-right click the device (iphone), restore from previous backup
-I let it run while I go to sleep (I add lots of abs & take age to restore all).
-Copy back contents of the \User\Library\SpringBoard\*
-Install back gridlock & all setting & layout back to normal & reliable if you do correctly.

Good Luck.

PS:
- I did have Springtomize 1 on iOS 4.2.1 and have its Layout Backups and would be adding Springtomize 2 on iOS 5.1.1
- I have not used FolderEnchancer so far so not sure if I will use it / need it / or do you recommend it?
- Does the 91pcBackup do something special here to back/ restore?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well stop talking about appsync. You should actually probably edit that out.
Also I'm pretty sure you are boned with the layout.
And as far as getting all your tweaks back, it depends on if you had a cydia backup tweak that didn't get erased. During restore as new...

princehhh

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
i am using Iphone 4 on 4.2.1 want to update to 5.1.1 tried all methods.. one major problem with Stitching Blobs.. i made custom firmware.. but there it gives error in stitching couldnt be verified etc.. please help in this step will be greatly appraised .. thank you

princehhh

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
my friend having iphone 4 ios 5.1 want to update to 5.1.1 also doesnt update.. even Blobs couldnt be found.. please help.. i had many error.. 1600,1601,2005,11 etc.. at last progressed attempt i got little light on my iphone4 and got error 11. please do help, my

princehhh

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
to get fresh blobs it says it probably stop singing it.. if not this.. to what version can i update my ios 4.3.1 and 5.1 on iphone 4 to get an unthethered jailbreak and unlock.. thank you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2