MAPS IN iOS6

glisk

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm sure you've all been reading about the problems with maps on iOS 6. I upgraded to iOS 6 on the iPad yesterday. Without a doubt it's a good upgrade and I like many of the features in it. I live in Hertfordshire in the UK and when i open maps and select my location, the upper 2/3 of the map is blurry and the lower 1/3 has very clear satellite imagery. In fact i would say that the satellite imagery is more detailed than google maps. Why did Apple release such a half baked feature. I understand that it's in a battle with google but I can't help but thin that apple was stupid to let google maps go. It should have left it in and given users a choice whilst it quietly went about fixing maps in the background.

As an android user who just switched to the iPhone 5, I am very disappointed. I plan on purchasing copilot live as a satnav and use the pedestrian directions to get around in the meantime.

I would like to know what experience others have had with maps.

Thanks.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like what I experienced on the betas of iOS 6. Yes, this is the official version, but there are going to be a few issues, since it was just released yesterday; but don't worry too much, it'll probably be fixed pretty soon.
My experience with Maps has been good so far. I used Turn-by-turn (unspoken, since I have the 4) without a problem.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it appears that Maps just isn't good as google. And I'm not surprised. It's not that it's not good, just not good as what it had. And unfortunately, these are the steps Apple has to take to strip their system of Google proprietary applications built in. I would suspect that Google may release a Maps app in the app store like they did with youtube. Honestly, I barely ever used Maps. I purchased te navigon app like 2 years ago for turn by turn and I always used that. And I don't live in a city or anything so public transportation or walking direction was never something I needed. But that's just me. I know a lot of people used those things. I would suspect they'll get better in the future and until then just use other 3rd party apps like hopstop which is what we had to do before anyway LOL.

aebrah

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like what I experienced on the betas of iOS 6. Yes, this is the official version, but there are going to be a few issues, since it was just released yesterday; but don't worry too much, it'll probably be fixed pretty soon.
My experience with Maps has been good so far. I used Turn-by-turn (unspoken, since I have the 4) without a problem.
Does turn by turn navigation work on iphone 4? Sounds like it will work on screen but no audio.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Should Apple have done better? Yes. That they didn't is exactly why I have, and will continue to use Navigon for my turn by turn navigation needs. If iOS6 Maps does not meet your needs, rather than kvetch about it - find yourself an app that does what you want it to do - then come here and brag it up.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Good grief... I do not get what's so (bleep) special about Google's maps... There are plenty of apps that are as good or better.

gagdude

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Good grief... I do not get what's so (bleep) special about Google's maps... There are plenty of apps that are as good or better.

They have a really good database. The best actually.
But Waze is da bomb because its user managed! Who needs Google Maps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Its going to take Apple a good while to play catch up. I think what is in iOS6 is great for now but it takes alot of time and money to invest into this type of infrastructure. It will improve over time. But if you feel like you cant depend on it there are better options that arent google for right now.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
like what?

apps better than Google? Navigon, Garmin OnBoard, TomTom, Telenav for starters.

And before anyone pops off about Google being free... well, it's not. One needs to understand the manner they are paying for Google's "free" apps and services. They are advertising delivery platforms and data mining tools. You may not open your wallet for Google stuff...you are paying in other ways.

Last edited:

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

And before anyone pops off about Google being free... well, it's not. One needs to understand the manner they are paying for Google's "free" apps and services. They are advertising delivery platforms and data mining tools. You may not open your wallet for Google stuff...you are paying in other ways.

None of those are better.

gagdude

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

OK cool as long as I don't shell out money they can mine data off me. Its not like they are going to steal my identity. Advertising isn't costing me anything is it?
Google is free. Simple as that

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk 2

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think people like it because its reliable & free. I came from Android & of course Google Maps worked wonderfully. Hopefully, they'll make an app for iOS that's just as good because the 1 baked into the iPhone was junk. Until that happens, lots of people are going to complain or find an alternative.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods