My Mac's too old to update to update to iOS6??

aero11616

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Running Mac OS X 10.5.8, iTunes 10.5.

When I try to update to iOS 6, it says I need to update iTunes. iTunes won't update because of my version of OS X, and my OS won't find an update because I think my MacBook is too old??

Am I going to have to get a whole new computer just because my Mac is old, yet works perfectly fine besides the updates needed??

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Running Mac OS X 10.5.8, iTunes 10.5.

When I try to update to iOS 6, it says I need to update iTunes. iTunes won't update because of my version of OS X, and my OS won't find an update because I think my MacBook is too old??

Am I going to have to get a whole new computer just because my Mac is old, yet works perfectly fine besides the updates needed??
Are you at least gong to tell us what MacBook you have?

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Model ID: MacBook4,1

That is a 2008 MacBook. EveryMac.com shows that you can install up to MacOS X Lion 10.7.5

My suggestion is to buy a copy of MacOS X Snow Leopard (or Lion if you can find the USB key that used to be sold) and install it. If Snow Leopard, update it to the latest version so you have the App Store, and then buy and download Lion via that (if u can, not sure, but i think Apple blocks Mountain Lion users from seeing Lion availablity on the App Store). You wont be able to get Mountain Lion, so you wont have any of its iOS to MacOS X iCloud features, but you will be able to keep working with iOS 6 at least for awhile.

A new system would be a good idea in maybe a year though.

Last edited:

aero11616

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 2008 MacBook 4,1 Core 2 Duo. iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1.

My real concern is for Friday when my iPhone 5 comes and I need to sync with iTunes.

I have a PC, but was hoping to keep everything on the Mac as I've always had it.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 2008 MacBook 4,1 Core 2 Duo. iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1.

My real concern is for Friday when my iPhone 5 comes and I need to sync with iTunes.

I have a PC, but was hoping to keep everything on the Mac as I've always had it.

Best bet for the Mac would be getting a copy of Snow Leopard (easiest, as it is available on Amazon). Install then, THEN download and install Lion from the App Store.

you *could* look for the Lion install USB stick on ebay, but those are more or less collectors items at this point. I just looked and one is going for $63 at 18 bits with 3 days left, and the other is $200 Buy It Now price. Snow Leopard + Lion from Amazon and MacAppStore will probably cost around $150 too when all is said and done.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Aero: I can't confirm if a newer iOS will sync but you could always back up through iCloud wirelessly. All you have to do is turn on the feature and keep WiFi on. Whenever you charge your phone overnight it'll sync with iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iceman1962

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I am using an iBook with OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 10 but when I plug in my iPhone 4s iTunes does not see the iPhone.
Tried different USB ports, I am connecting direct to the iBook and everything is on a fresh install. The iBook was seeing
the iPhone as a camera but then I stopped that. But iTunes will still not see my iPhone.

it's an iBook G4 1.42 Ghz 1.5 GB ram

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I am using an iBook with OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 10 but when I plug in my iPhone 4s iTunes does not see the iPhone.
Tried different USB ports, I am connecting direct to the iBook and everything is on a fresh install. The iBook was seeing
the iPhone as a camera but then I stopped that. But iTunes will still not see my iPhone.

it's an iBook G4 1.42 Ghz 1.5 GB ram

If you have another cable, I'd try that...

Cory Cummings

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
~ No... Your computer is not too old. I currently have a old PowerMac G5 with OS 10.5.8 working fine with my iPhone 4s with iOS 6.1.2. You can upgrade your itunes on the computer with OS 10.5.8 to itunes 10.6.3 which can work with iOS 6 on you phone & install iOS 6. Granted finding a way to download iOS 6 is not really supported by apple any more - grrr... Just like the "older" computers - grrr... But you can possibly download the iOS 6 file to your computer to do a downgrade /or/ save for upgrade purposes while trying to avoid iOS7. I do have the file & instructions on how to do that - granted I haven't tried it yet. Also a good old *Google* search can give you access to what I found, that's how I found it > iOS downgrading for iphones. FYI - sometimes people who unlock your phone outside of the carrier know how to do this too. If you want to put iOS 7 on your devices through the computer you will have to at least have a apple computer with a intel processor that can go up to OS 10.6.8. Ironically on a windows computer for the newer itunes you can be on Windows XP - grrr... I don't know about you, but I do see a problem here - "sigh."

~ And yes, you can update your devices through the device using wifi, but this can also cause glitches which can only be fixed by erasing the device. So, before you update on a whelm like most do. Like buying something without learning about it first. FYI - you don't have to always update you devices iOS, my phone is on iOS 6.1.2 & it works just fine. Just make sure to backup everything before any updates are done >

(1) save pics & videos,
(2) authorize itunes program on computer for appleid & transfer purchases
(3) Backup the device to itunes / & /or/ backup to icloud - do both, even better.

~ Now for some good news, thinking ahead in the case I might have to wipe out my G5 or setup another computer with OS 10.5.8, I saved ALL the downloads separately on my external HD before I did the updates. So I still can do the updates later when they are no longer found on the internet or disks. Should we start to say R.I.P CD's? So I DO HAVE the itunes update(s) and OS update(s) that you would need. How ever getting you access to it is what is in question. I am not sure of any way I can put this itunes and OS "update(s)" on here to give everyone access to it, as I am willing to share.

~ So contact me back, and maybe I can send it to you on a compressed file / burn it on DVD for you. I love apple products, got nothing but apple products, as I also do tech support for apple iOS devices. I also find it aggravating that apple phases out it's computers so fast. I think the computers should have a longer liability, especially since I can't always buy a "new" computer every few years. I am broke and I got to get the most use out of what I got. But, that what happens when you are constantly innovating for newer and better ideas. The "older" stuff becomes obsolete faster - "sigh." Maybe someday i can afford a newer computer, but not today. Personally I only upgrade when I have to. For instance, a little tip on iOS devices (iphones, ipod touchs & ipads), any device below or older than the iphone 5c / 5s & ipad mini & air - DO NOT UPDATE TO iOS 7. It will greatly decrease your battery life, trust me I know. Any more questions, just ask - Cory <>[redacted] <>

<> OWNED DEVICES <>

iPhone 4s 64GB
- iOS 6.1.2

iPod 4 32GB
- iOS 6.1.3 (don't use any more)

iMac Duo Intel 2.0 (17 in)
- OS 10.6.8

Mac Book Intel 1.83 (13 in)
- OS 10.7.5 (max)
- Windows 7

Power Mac G5 2.0 (tower - main computer)
- OS 10.4.11 > HD #1
- OS 10.5.8 > HD #2
/ iTunes 10.6.3

Power Mac 7500/100 (G3) (Desktop - the Dinosaur)
- OS 9.1
/ 3 HDs

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Cummings

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
With the phone connected to the computer & itunes open - do a hard rest to the phone. A HARD RESET is when you hold down (both) the home button and power button down at the same time on the device (iphone, ipod touch & ipad). Only do the hard rest for 10 seconds until you see a apple symbol appear on the screen of the phone. Any longer than 10 seconds can put the phone into recovery mode, in-turn causing everything to be erased off the phone. So only do the hard reset fro 10 seconds, after 10 seconds and you see the apple symbol let go of the buttons and the device will restart. It "should" show in itunes after it restarts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2