Is the new Maps app going to be a data drainer?

iLoveApple16

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering since now that it has turn-by-turn voice navigation if people who use it are going to be worried about how much data it uses.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't seem to eat a lot of data. I used it a lot while on betas. But it will eat through some battery as the screen is always lit. That's expected but it's not a battery killer.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not that much of a data hog. I used it a lot in beta 4. I love how it still navigates in the lock screen and how the voice overs come in no matter what you're doing on the phone.

supratik

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry folks, the maps in iOS6 do you need cellular signal or is it preloaded? In UK you may not have persistent signal while driving certain areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazaruz

Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
Sorry folks, the maps in iOS6 do you need cellular signal or is it preloaded? In UK you may not have persistent signal while driving certain areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it appears that you need a cell signal (just like the version of maps w/google info in it)

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
The new maps should not use lot of data. That is the advantage of vector maps. Google maps on the other hand used a lot of data comparatively since it was image based and everytimr you zoom it had to download a new image. Try this, load a map and then turn the data off. Now try zooming in and see for yourself.