How to easily add the new Outlook(.)com email account

iRetired

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course iOS5.1.1 does not have the new outlook(.)com easy setup so here's how I added my new account. Simply go to Settings>Mail,Contacts>Add Account... and tap the Microsoft Hotmail icon. All you have to do is type in your new name@outlook(.)com, your password, and replace Description with Outlook or whatever you prefer.

No POP or IMAP setting info required.

Thought I'd give something back to this community.

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I actually quite like the interface of outlook. The plus point, also because its relatively new, you might still be able to get the address that you want. :D I didn't get my first choice but i got my 2nd choice. But switching to another email account is never that easy. Unless there's a significant advantage over other email services. Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare, not sure i'm willing to jump right in just yet. Perhaps just to try it out first.

Anyway, I set mine up as an exchange as well for push. Just to try it out. :D

benjimen

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Just an FYI, setting it up as a 'Hotmail' account uses Exchange ActiveSync settings. You can also use the Exchange option with m.hotmail.com as the server, but it isn't necessary.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)... Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare...(snipped)...:D

I have to disagree with you. I can't remember the last time I got spammed via hotmail and it is my second most active email account.

Last edited:

RickNY

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Just add it as an Exchange account... Put your full hotmail address in, password, and description - and it will set it up as an Exchange account.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare, not sure i'm willing to jump right in just yet.

Maybe you should stop signing up for everything and trying to win "free" iPads....

I've had my Hotmail account since 1999 and use it 24/7. I also use it for newsletters, etc. I get 4-8 spam messages in the inbox each day. I do email marketing for a living and the messages that get through will pass any email provider since they are well crafted.

If you are counting the Junk folder, that is a different story. I glance at it once daily but hardly every have anything in there that is legit.

As for Outlook.com - I love the new look. I've been very happy and I'd pay to have the option to setup pop accounts so that I can keep all of my email in once place since iCloud will not let me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
tried this but keep getting account cannot be verified???? and help greatly appreciated

You tried what??? Be specific please since you are not quoting anyone. If you setup your outlook.com account on your i-device via the Microsoft Exchange setup, it should take. It did for me and I did not run into any problems.

Last edited:

hotkey

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I can use some help please. I'm trying to use Outlook.com mobile web via Safari (I dont want to use with iOS Mail) on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6. It works really slick EXCEPT, message threads are removed on any emails I reply to! And if I forward emails with attachments, they are stripped also. I really want to keep using this but its worthless without the whole message.

I found that there is a Hotmail app that lets a user log in to different Microsoft domains, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, Live.com, and a wild card "Specify other domain". But none of these will redirect or connect to Outlook.com Can that be right? Its seems like all of those do redirect to Outlook if you do it on a PC browser. Anyone with experience with this app and Outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can use some help please. I'm trying to use Outlook.com mobile web via Safari (I dont want to use with iOS Mail) on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6. It works really slick EXCEPT, message threads are removed on any emails I reply to! And if I forward emails with attachments, they are stripped also. I really want to keep using this but its worthless without the whole message.

I found that there is a Hotmail app that lets a user log in to different Microsoft domains, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, Live.com, and a wild card "Specify other domain". But none of these will redirect or connect to Outlook.com Can that be right? Its seems like all of those do redirect to Outlook if you do it on a PC browser. Anyone with experience with this app and Outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me!

After reading your post, I logged into to my outlook.com account via Safari from my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.0.1 and I pulled up the email conversation that I had with my youngest son's teacher earlier this morning and the entire conversation thread was readily visible. The final email that she sent me contained the entire back & forth correspondence. I then scrolled down to the bottom of the page and selected "desktop site" or something to that effect and the view changed to that which coincides with a desktop. That view also contained the conversation thread. Unless I misinterpreted your post, I don't know what to tell you.

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my iphone 5, added my hotmail.com email address just fine. The thing is, I have a outlook.com alias attached to my hotmail, I dont have a password for my outlook since its an alias of my hotmail, so I cant add it that way. Im just looking to get the outlook.com alias added to my device so I can reply FROM the alias as well as the original hotmail.com address.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got my iphone 5, added my hotmail.com email address just fine. The thing is, I have a outlook.com alias attached to my hotmail, I dont have a password for my outlook since its an alias of my hotmail, so I cant add it that way. Im just looking to get the outlook.com alias added to my device so I can reply FROM the alias as well as the original hotmail.com address.

Yes, you can. Set it up via Microsoft Exchange.

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, my outlook.com email address isnt an actual email address with a password, its just an alias, so it doesnt have a password to configure....meaning I cant go to www.outlook.com, use my @outlook.com email and password (since it doesnt exist), i've tried my hotmail PW and my @outlook.com email, but that doesnt seem to work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When the outlook.com thing came along, I had a hotmail.com account and I initially set up my Outlook.com address as an alias to my hotmail account. However, I was later given an option in the settings online (either Outlook or Hotmail), I don't quite remember which, that gave me the option to use the outlook.com as a primary and/or completely switch over to it. It's been a while so forgive me for not being so exact. Anyway, after I did that, I was given the option to have any email sent to my hotmail.com address forwarded to Outlook and saved in a folder bearing the name of my hotmail email address. After reading your last message, I sent a test message from my iCloud account to my old hotmail email address and that test message appeared in my Outlook.com account and my iPhone is configured to it, and not hotmail, via the Microsoft Exchange setup so I don't know what else to tell you, my friend. I'm not at home right now and I hope my reply was understandable.

bigolyt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense... and I think I found how to make my @outlook.com email my primary, BUT I'd like to keep BOTH @hotmail and @outlook email addresses and Im not sure if making the @outlook email address primary will break anything.

All Im really trying to do is add the ability to reply FROM either email address inside the MAIL app on my iPhone.

So if someone emails my @hotmail and I reply, I can chose reply from and chose either @outlook or @hotmail. Same thing if someone emails my @outlook.com address.

Jack Hard

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Including Outlook interfeys.Vverh relatively new, the same way it may be able to get the desired direction. I have my first choice, my second option. However, it is not easy to change to another email account. If you have a significant advantage of e-mail service. Hotmail spam is a nightmare, I do not know what you are to move to the right time. Maybe you just give it a try for the first time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices