backup question

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
quick question guys. so i was recently jailbroken and i returned to stock just now but im stuck whether to restore from a backup from march when i wasnt jailbroken or from a backup that i did recently but i was jailbroken at the time. will some of the JB stuff creep over without me knowing and apple genius finding it when i take it in for service?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that yes, you can restore a backup from when you were jailbroken to your now stock device., however, whether or not your jailbreak apps & folders get restored, I don't know.

Just Me, D
(iPad)

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Cydia apps won't come back if Cydia isn't there anymore... And iTunes certainly won't restore Cydia anyway.

On the other hand, if you were using Installous... and you have some cracked Apple apps... these may be restored, as iTunes mistakes them as the real ones... However, I do not think they actually can be restored if you don't have the Installous backup packages installed in Cydia (they are downloaded automatically when you install Installous)... so I don't know about them, really, but I think they won't come back neither. Can't be that hard to take em out after the restore, if they do come back.

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Alright I restored from a non jail broken backup. Now I accidentally turned iMessage off and turned it back on and it asked me for my apple ID password and it will keep giving me the error message like as if I didn't enter it right. Idk what's going on?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright I restored from a non jail broken backup. Now I accidentally turned iMessage off and turned it back on and it asked me for my apple ID password and it will keep giving me the error message like as if I didn't enter it right. Idk what's going on?

Just turn your iPhone off, wait 10 seconds and then turn it back on. After that, go to your Messages settings and try again.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did it twice, I still get the same message

After reading your reply, I signed out of iMessage and was able to sign back in successfully, however, don't rule out connection issues in your area. Is the rest of the phone working properly?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea everything seems to work fine except I do get a link to a cydia theme every time I reboot. I delete it right away and comes back after a reboot

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You might want to restore as new. Some people find it to be a pain in the butt, but I don't. Restoring as new gives you a fresh start and usually eliminates nagging previous issues.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I also have another backup I did in jan and it was before I jailbreaked the phone. I'll give that one a try. Could that fix the iMessage problem?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt to try, but I doubt anything is wrong with your iMessage. A lot of people have had trouble logging back in to iMessage after having logged out. Some found success after a few tries while others had to wait a day or so to log back in. My 'guess' is that the problem is on Apple's end, but of course, I have no proof.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(Laughing)...I'm glad you got it taken care of. ;) Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI: The iMore Blog is reporting that iMessage has been down for a lot of users today. I have not been affected at all and as I aforementioned in an earlier reply, your iMessage issue is more likely on Apple's side. I know you're back up and running after installing an earlier backup. Anyway, I just thought you might be interested to know that you were not the only person having iMessage issues today. Take care.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73