Want to upgrade jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 4 from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
While there are numerous "how to jailbreak" posts across the net, I wanted to confirm the approach I need to use to BOTH jailbreak and unlock:

Existing:
iPhone 4
iOS 5.0.1
Ultrasn0w 1.2.7
Baseband: 1.59.00
Jailbroken
Unlocked for a non-US carrier (Airtel)

What I want to do:
Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1
Retain the baseband at 1.59.00
Jailbroken
Unlocked for the same non-US carrier (Airtel)

What approach do I need to take?
Thanks in advance.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Use redsnow and create a custom ipsw so it preserves your baseband and upgrade in iTunes using shift and update and then select your custom file

Since you have a non us carrier after update is complete
Close iTunes and teather jb with redsnow

This will bypass the activation screen too

Next in cydia install rocky raccoon to untether your jb

Then install ultra snow 5.1.1 fixer
Then install ultrasnow

You now have 5.1.1 .. On 1.59.00 bb .. Jb and unlocked

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

Reactions: kunalashar

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Peligro911. What does ".. and teather jb with redsnow" mean?

It means once you jailbreak your phone will not start correctly. So you will need to plug it in to your pc, then power it down. Then open red snow and select the option for boot tethered.
Follow the onscreen instructions from red snow and your phone will boot up and go to lock screen.
Then you can go to cydia and install the rocky raccoon.

Reactions: kunalashar

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It means if you are teather when ever you want to re boot your phone you will need a computer to assist it that's why u want un teathered

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Sharlin07

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I am facing this problem for couple of days and that is why I come into this forum and I am glad to say that thanks for your above info................

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Looks like my attempt to upgrade has been thwarted at the very beginning. The custom IPSW that I created using redsn0w 0.9.1.14 b1 doesn't open/apply on the latest version of iTunes on Windows. (Unknown error 11).

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Peligro911 and 3cit. After a few anxious hours and some R&D, I've gotten it to work mostly the way you described it.
A few things for folks who might read this later:
  1. Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 might cause an apparent signal loss (reduces the signal to just 1 bar). After installing Ultrasn0w, you can safely remove the fixer
  2. I had to use "Jailbreak and install Cydia" in redsn0w to get it to work.
  3. The modified IPSW ("No_BB") needed to be installed through redsn0w

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like my attempt to upgrade has been thwarted at the very beginning. The custom IPSW that I created using redsn0w 0.9.1.14 b1 doesn't open/apply on the latest version of iTunes on Windows. (Unknown error 11).

That's because you need to be in PWN DFU mode to have iTunes accept a custom firmware.

Thanks Peligro911 and 3cit. After a few anxious hours and some R&D, I've gotten it to work mostly the way you described it.
A few things for folks who might read this later:
  1. Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 might cause an apparent signal loss (reduces the signal to just 1 bar). After installing Ultrasn0w, you can safely remove the fixer
  2. I had to use "Jailbreak and install Cydia" in redsn0w to get it to work.
  3. The modified IPSW ("No_BB") needed to be installed through redsn0w

That's because Ultrasn0w fixer isn't necessary anymore since the release of Ultrasn0w 1.2.7 - AND because you needed to be in pwn dfu mode.

I would have used Sn0wbreeze, the program creates your IPSW firmware, jailbreaks it, hacktivates the device, and of course preserves your baseband - in a single operation.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner