3cit's battery drain thread

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I am the first to admit when in wrong, (no, not really) so I have long been an "anti jailbreak battery drain guy". That being said I have been having SERIOUS battery issues...
So I went stock jail broken... iOS 5.1.1 jail broke with absinthe. And no tweaks. I have been 5 hours with 2% battery drain with minimal use. So, no issues so far.
To me, bite is the key, so im starting with that as my first install.
I'll update regularly with results.
And if y'all don't care then that
Makes me sad, but not deterred!!! mwuhahaha... Isn't the Internet great!

Reactions: Sharma15

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
And if y'all don't care then that makes me sad, but not deterred!!! mwuhahaha... Isn't the Internet great!

25653-i-know-that-feel-bro-i-know-that-feel.jpg

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so two hours later and about 35 texts to and from, a few iMessage on 3G and still at 100% so I'm going to rule out bite as te culprit!!! (yay, I really love bite!)
Now I'm installing latest (beta version) of LOCKINFO...
Well, 3 hours into LOCKINFO and I've dropped 28% battery! However I have been streaming podcasts for the whole time!! I'll let it run with nothing else tomorrow morning...
I hope it's not LOCKINFO, or if anything it's only this beta and the stable release is fine...

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to report that this morning with minimal use after 4 hours still have 100% battery so I can safely rule out lock info AND springtomize as causes of battery drain!
I'm now going to reinstall folder enhancer and ifile
More updates to come! I know you are all waiting anxiously!

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, please keep us updated.. While I dont use lockinfo, it would be interesting to see how this program, and potentially IntelliScreen behave..

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so no problems with folder enhancer, ifile, or gridlock!
I'm going to install ipsum, now listening, and browser changer now as I'm reasonably sure they are not issues, and tonight I'm going to put weathericon (which I think may be the cause!)
UPDATE!!
I'm not sure anymore that I don't have problems with one of the last 6 tweaks. While I don't have battery loss when the device is idle, I seem to have HEAVY battery loss during use...
For example I have dropped 8% in an hour just texting and messing around with settings...
Going to plunge ahead and add winter board now...

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I was wrong... And I don't know where!!!
I'm starting almost over again with bite, lockinfo, Lorem, winter board and browser changer...
I'm dropping folder enhancer and ifile and gridlock and springtomize for now!!!
I think ifile might be using a lot more battery than it should be, I have used it before and not had battery issues.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I also have issues when losing more battery when I'm just texting. Good luck on finding the fix.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Bear in mind that some if the tweaks you mention have settings of their own that could affect battery life: Springtomize could be used for a bunch of animations, but those could also be turned off; Lockinfo has different plugins which each have different settings, etc. (For instance I turned off Location Services for my weather widget because I felt that Lockinfo was calling for location too often.) Something like Intelliscreenx can be configured to update as often or as rarely as you'd like, which will affect battery.

Unless something is just poorly coded it's tough to say the app itself is responsible. In fact, one of the biggest battery drains is the default Stocks widget in Notification Center. By that example, I'd start looking particularly at anything that is frequently running/updating in the background.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
In one of the biggest DUH moments of my life, i set up iCloud syncing when I first updated to 5.1.1, and have set up the same system the last three times i restored as new..
I have read that possibly, i cloud trying to sync calendars can cause SERIOUS battery drain...
So i turned off iCloud syncing for everything except contacts...
I seemingly have ok battery life since then with all my tweaks installed...
In regards to the settings, I'm pretty sure that I have all those set up properly as I am an iPhone junkie and constantly playing with my settings...

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I do too!!!
It is strange that if my phone is just chillin I lose no battery, but if I text or read imore, or use ifile my battery drains like 15-20% an hour!!!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I haven't given up, but it's possible that that calendar thing was the issue, I needed a break though so I just used springtomize I disable
My battery and location icons on the status bar so that I don't see them... Out of sight and out of mind...

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
IM GOING INSANE!!!
my battery is PERFECT while on "standby" like 4% for three hours. But I take my lunch break, 30 minutes and I drop 20%!!!!!
I'm going to bring my device to apple, UNjailbroken of course!!!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
IM GOING INSANE!!!
my battery is PERFECT while on "standby" like 4% for three hours. But I take my lunch break, 30 minutes and I drop 20%!!!!!
I'm going to bring my device to apple, UNjailbroken of course!!!

Is it the same non jb ? If so you might have a bad battery

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Before you go any further, get BatteryDetective in Cydia. The app will give you a concrete number as far as battery drain (or charge, for that matter) goes.

It updates every 30 seconds or so, so you can load it up, put your phone to sleep for a minute or so, then turn it back on and unlock the screen and still be able to see the sleep drain long enough to see that, too.

Touching your screen is what causes the biggest battery drain, from what I've seen.

The app isn't free, but based on looking at how much time you're spending on trying to track the rogue battery draining app, it would probably be worth every penny.

Something to keep in mind, too, is that the battery isn't calibrated when you restore the OS. Your battery might not be registering correctly until you go through a couple of charge cycles, which might be messing up some of your observations at the high and low end of the battery level.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When you take tour lunch break, are you in a weak signal area? We have a few almost-dead spots at work that really keep my phone working overtime as it tries to hold a signal.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well on lunch, I am as close to the wireless router as I could be without holding my phone next to it.
I have battery detective and it would always show a drain, but never from what.
I am a heavy texter, so I'm worried it's bite now too!!!!
And if any of you are familiar with me you know I'm a bite LIFER!!!
The battery will hold a charge perfectly until I start using it then it's up to 25% an hour battery loss!!!
So to me, it's not like anything is running in the background....
I heard that if the battery is seated wrong, it may cause issues like this...
And I know that my laptop battery, which we just kept plugged in all the time... That thing holds like a 23 minute charge!!! But I don't keep
My phone plugged in all day! And the detective or some other app shoes that I have 1363 of 1400 for total power at 100% charge...
Like I said I'm going nuts!
I might uninstall bite for a whole day to see what happens...
Edit:
Went from 81% to 79% just typing this reply!!
Only 1 text message during reply!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ok
restoring as new
AGAIN....
and, im going to jailbreak using redsnow and not absinthe... maybe thatll make a difference...
and as before im going to start with bite, and only bite
im a bit of a freak though and know that ill end up with springtomize and folder enhance and gridlock before the end of the weekend....
(side note, i forgot how much springtomize covered! its a great tweak!)
i think i can POSSIBLY live without lock info for a few days....
Ok starting now!! As always I'll keep you all informed wether you like it or not!
So 6 hours or so later and 89% battery... So far so good... But I remember being here before!!!
ANOTHER thing that as happening was my home button being AT TIMES unresponsive...
Which hasn't happened yet.
The paranoid part of me thinks some malware ended up on my phone making my CPU run in overdrive at times, which would result in incredible battery drain and slow processing such as an unresponsive home button....
Like a KEYLOGGER!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharma15

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so, I charged to 100% then unplugged the phone around midnight... 12 hours later with a few messages, emails and some browsing I have 94% battery...
But like I said, I feel like I've been here before

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro