TTC (Toronto) Users! Be wary of iOS 6 upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh, full screen browsing huh? I already had that. And I actually don't care about the other stuff. I quit Facebook a long time ago, tired of them ads.

I'm sorry, but if you dont know what AdBlock is, you probably shouldn't be messing with Beta software. Ads are an old problem easily solved. LOL, That's the worst excuse for ditching Facebook I've ever heard.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry, but if you dont know what AdBlock is, you probably shouldn't be messing with Beta software. Ads are an old problem easily solved. LOL, That's the worst excuse for ditching Facebook I've ever heard.

lmao, iced tea now on keyboard. thanks

Reactions: Dryland

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Because we're the ones feeling the pinch. They're making their own maps for no other reason than to not have Google Maps. Because its competition. We don't get updates YouTube app because it's competition, and they also want to filter our search so that we don't have to use Google.

Apple is systematically weening us off of Google. Why? Because its Android. What does that have to do with us, nothing. We don't deserve it.

Then stick with Android and have your Google Maps... geeez...:rolleyes:

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I hear you and thank you for replying. I guess I'm just, I don't know, old school. I grew up with a map book and during my days in the Marine Corps traveling to various places to drink, party and chase the girls, a Rand McNally map helped me reach my destination. A few years back, I purchased an in-vehicle Garmin GPS unit which works wonderfully and I keep it updated. With that in mind, if a smartphone didn't come with built-in turn by turn navigation or even a map, I'm not hindered in the least and I think a lot of people fall into that category. Besides, thanks to willing developers, I could always use Waze, MapQuest or any of the paid mapping apps. I just think too much is being made about Apple's new mapping feature and what it does and does not do especially when there are 3rd party remedies.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I guess the boy scouts was good for something... then later the Navy... I dont need to follow a line to get where I'm going. Give em a map and an address, I'll get there.

Just to be clear, I am a public transit user. Transit routes were nice to have, but I never totally relied on them through Google Maps. MARTA (Atlanta) has a pretty awesome web app for for trips and schedules.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess the boy scouts was good for something
No doubt about it! ;) An alumni of Troop 154 in da house
then later the Navy
OOH-RAH!
I dont need to follow a line to get where I'm going. Give em a map and an address, I'll get there.
Same here, my friend.

Just to be clear, I am a public transit user. Transit routes were nice to have, but I never totally relied on them through Google Maps. MARTA (Atlanta) has a pretty awesome web app for for trips and schedules.
Understood. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
TTC does have a web site, with a mobile version... they also partner with NextBus Homepage - and state on their web site that their schedule info is available by any one of several mobile phone apps (without naming them...) - with all those options, I don't see the fuss here...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Latest actually is he is selling his 4 and 4s for a iPhone 5 lol
that will be preloaded with IOS6 lol

Maybe he can hurry and downgrade it to 5.1.1 while apple is signing it lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I echo this. And I think it's irresponsible for Apple to drag their users into this back and forth Google vs Apple lawsuit crap. That is why they're doing it right?

Seriously!!! If they couldn't offer an equivalent service, they shouldn't have replaced Google Maps yet!!!

And I am NOT going to go without OS updates to preserve an important function because Apple thinks it's ok to remove useful things for no god damned reason.

You guys are being sycophantic Apple fanboys, and are just trying to argue your point by picking on the two people effected by this who disagree with you. I love Apple as much as the next, I have no plans of getting another device because I'm so locked into Apple's ecosystems, hell I even develop for iOS. But I am not about to make excuses for Apple when they pull bull**** like this over a stupid tech turf war with Google because they're butthurt over Android's (perceived or real) popularity.

you went and updated to a beta software of iOS 6... it is NOT RELEASED! How can you be mad for something you voluntarily did, and took upon the risks, which are CLEARLY labeled on Apple's Developer site... it's not like you upgrade to iOS 6 by accident... you voluntarily upgraded, now you must deal with what comes with running a beta software that isn't ready for prime time.

What is up with all the whiners about iOS 6?? Apple should run CLOSED beta's from now on to avoid this childish reaction to software that isn't yet ready for release....

This is an uneducated argument... They aren't going to add these things (street view and full transit directions) between now and the final release. And even if they do, I was really making this thread to discuss that it had disappointed me for now, let other similar users know, and see if anyone else had been effected in the same way.

I'm not saying I HAVE TO use iOS 6 or that anyone FORCED ME. I'm saying I will be using iOS 6, and it sucks that Apple has replaced Google Maps with a LESS USEFUL service because it has their name on it instead.

Imagine if Apple removed Google from their options for search engines. People across the world would be "whining" over it, and I'm willing to bet a lot of you would be "whining" along with them.

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
the solution to anyone not happy with the new maps app in iOS 6... a) downgrade to 5.1.1 b) switch to Android...

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think what those that don't like the new maps dont understand is that it was much more important for apple to get a turn by turn solution out the door than it was to preserve googles maps and transit directions. It's safer when driving and I'm sure if you polled most iOS users they would rather have turn by turn rather than transit info. Google was never going to give apple turn by turn or all of its best features. It's becoming a must have feature for a smart phone.

Besides apple clearly stated the API would be open to developers to create even better transit tie ins to the map.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

You guys are being sycophantic Apple fanboys, and are just trying to argue your point by picking on the two people effected by this who disagree with you. I love Apple as much as the next, I have no plans of getting another device because I'm so locked into Apple's ecosystems, hell I even develop for iOS. But I am not about to make excuses for Apple when they pull bull**** like this over a stupid tech turf war with Google because they're butthurt over Android's (perceived or real) popularity.

...(snipped)...

I am not an Apple fanboy, but I am very pleased with the Apple products that I own. In no way, shape or form am I picking on you because of conflicting viewpoints. I'm better than that! All I tried to do was, not make excuses for Apple, but to show that it has the right to protect its own interests even to the point of removing a competitor's product from its devices. As consumers, we have several choices: (1) Buy non-Apple products (2) Continue to buy Apple products and (3) Complain to Apple and hope they listen. I can't explain it any clearer. No company, including Apple, can please every customer and even as a developer, the product you create will not be purchased by everyone and for those who do purchase it, they will not all be satisfied. That's just how it is. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Motoleo is really a good example of people who shouldn't be allowed to use beta software, all I've heard from this guy the last couple of days is whining...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice