Regarding iOS file deletion rules

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, and wondering if someone can answer this for me.

As an example; I have 2 apps installed on my iPhone, Kobo (for books) and Rdio (for music). Both of these apps download and store content on the phone. Every now and then I'll open the Kobo app and it notifies me that the OS has deleted my downloaded books in order to recover some space. The Rdio app never does this; the music I sync to my phone through Rdio stays put, and essentially the OS leaves it alone.

Now it's not an issue of space, as I usually have plenty of free space on my phone, so why does the Kobo data get deleted while the Rdio data does not? Is this something the developers of the apps are in control of? Or does iOS simply treat certain data differently, depending on what type of files they are?

Again, just curious.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My guess would be there may be a setting within Kobo that allows for a certain amount of book storage before it deletes books to recover space. You may be able to up this setting. From your homescreen go to the settings icon, and drill down in to the settings for the Kobo app, if there IS such a setting increase it. :)

Reactions: dscott23

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you're right. There is a setting for how many books you want stored, I didn't think to check for it. Strangely though, it's set to store the 10 most recent books, but I've still seen them all deleted in order to recover space. This is on my iPad though, so it's possible it was running low at one point and the OS actually needed to delete them.

I guess that answers my question :)