iOS Mail App crashing

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am having a lot of issues with the stock email app lately. It's crashing frequently, and has in a few cases crashed the phone down to the little spinning thing. I emailed myself a few logs before I did a full restore today...any other ideas or reasons why it might be crashing?

I only have two email accounts set up, both are Gmails set as Exchange.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Your email might be valuable, if you could find some way to make it crash consistantly. Stock apps that crash in predictable ways make for nice jailbreak injection points...

What would be REALLY nice would be if you had one particular email message that caused the crash on any device that tried to open it!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having a lot of issues with the stock email app lately. It's crashing frequently, and has in a few cases crashed the phone down to the little spinning thing. I emailed myself a few logs before I did a full restore today...any other ideas or reasons why it might be crashing?

Has your mail app crashed since the restore? If so, you might want to connect it iTunes, do a full erase and restore as 'new'. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's also one of the best methods for fixing problems.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Has your mail app crashed since the restore? If so, you might want to connect it iTunes, do a full erase and restore as 'new'. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's also one of the best methods for fixing problems.

That's what I did Sunday. I *NEVER* use backups for restore. I always set up as completely new.

As for your other question, so far Mail has not crashed but Contacts has been all day today. I have three crash logs for Contacts today alone. Since this is my 11th iPhone4S, I am about to abandon the iPhone for android if it can be more reliable than this. This crashing nonsense is new for this handset, the previous 10 to my knowledge didn't do this. This particular unit is only 2 months old for me.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
How many email account do you have set up ? Have you tried removing the account and re adding it ? Maybe put a diff email on there to see if it crashes ..

Norm the main issue with gmail is the captcha but that would ask for you password constantly but if you have never disabled it could be worth a try

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
How many email account do you have set up ? Have you tried removing the account and re adding it ? Maybe put a diff email on there to see if it crashes ..

Norm the main issue with gmail is the captcha but that would ask for you password constantly but if you have never disabled it could be worth a try

I only have two accounts set up for email, both are gmail through exchange, makes no difference which one it is sending from, or if they're removed and re setup.

I have two accounts for contacts, one gmail, one iCloud, they don't duplicate though, and this crash occurred when making a new contact.

I am presently on hold with senior advisors trying to figure out why, and get all the crashlogs over to them.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity have you tried disabling one of the contact account and see if it crashes maybe it's one of them causing it ?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
yep. I deleted them after that didn't work, then re setup each one individually to test it.

The problem with all this is that it's not at all consistent. Doesn't happen every time or every day. Just sporadically. And there's no way to just get it to reproduce the errors.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That is weird I have one gmail as exchange just mail n calendar the iCloud mail calendar and contacts never had issues .. You have already restored .. Hmm .. Conflicting app ?
I hope they can tell by the crash logs

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I typed a somewhat wordy response, but when I hit send, Tapatalk crashed on me....again! In summary, I agree with Peligro911 and ask that you try disabling one of the contact lists and see if that helps. If not, try disabling the other contact list. This has got to be a software glitch.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
That's odd. I have 4 accounts set up and never have a crash for any of the PIM apps. Does it do the same thing if you set up Gmail as IMAP?

Is there a particular type of mail or attachment that crashes your email?

My guess is there's some corruption in your mail, not your iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. I have 4 accounts set up and never have a crash for any of the PIM apps. Does it do the same thing if you set up Gmail as IMAP?

Is there a particular type of mail or attachment that crashes your email?

My guess is there's some corruption in your mail, not your iPhone.

It doesn't seem to matter if they're set as imap or Exchange. And none of the ones I can remmeber that were up when crashing had attachments...It's crashed just looking at the inbox. When it happened the first time I tried it as the imap option bec I wondered if maybe they were trying to kill off Exchange (apple, with 5.1) or something, but it didn't matter. This weekend before I did the restore, it crashed the whole phone twice, not even just the app back to the home screen, which had only happened once before, on APril 27th (I had that crash log to send). I was just reading a message the first time, and replying (and had typed a monster!) to one the other time, each was a different account, but both are gmail (one's a googleapps address, ones just Gmail).

Today the Contacts started crashing and it happened the first time when I was scrolling through the "all" contacts. Then I went in to add a new one to iCloud, and it crashed the app when I clicked DONE. Back to home screen both times. I have since set up new accounts in both Google and iCloud with no problems. Both with wildly inappropriate names.

I am really hoping they find something in the crash logs, and that its a generally easy fix, because I really don't want ANOTHER unit. I asked if it could be memory related, though I never keep more than like two apps open at any time, bec I don't need things killing battery if Im not using them.

One thing that the Sr. Advisor said that looked weird when he first ran through the diagnostics, was that one of the crash logs from today was saying it was running 5.1 and the other 5.1.1, and I did the 5.1.1 last night, so today would obviously be 5.1.1. He wondered if maybe there was an update issue? I don't know if at the Apple store they have a master OS theycan just overwrite everything with maybe?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)... He wondered if maybe there was an update issue? I don't know if at the Apple store they have a master OS theycan just overwrite everything with maybe?

Wouldn't a full wipe and erase via iTunes cause it to re-download and re-install the latest iOS version?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't a full wipe and erase via iTunes cause it to re-download and re-install the latest iOS version?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

That's what I did on Sunday, and it didn't fix it, and now my contacts app crashes also.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I did on Sunday, and it didn't fix it, and now my contacts app crashes also.

Okay then delete ALL of your email accounts. Afterwards, reboot your device. If you have a throw-away email account, set it up on your device and when you're done, send a test email to a friend. If that goes well, enter a few names in your address book and see if opening and closing the address book crashes. Hopefully, it won't. If that goes well, reconfigure one of your exchange accounts and send a test message with it. Test your address book, as well. If that goes well, add your other exchange account.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Try to set up your Gmail account under Microsoft Exchange. That might help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro