Help With a Previously Jailbroken Ipod

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
ok this might be a long read but i really need somebody's help.
i have an ipod touch 3rd-gen (IOS 4.1) that i have had for about a year now. i jailbroke it nearly as soon as i got it. the problem is that about a week ago i noticed that the album art was not right. i tried everything i could think of to try to fix it. but what i decided to do was to restore the unit. so i downloaded the official apple 4.1 package and used the shift button to use itunes to restore the ipod. however, the problem started occurring now that i cant re-jailbreak the unit. neither limera1n nor green poison will jailbreak this unit (what i mean is that they wont show the icon that is supposed to allow the installation of cydia). i thought maybe the jailbreak needs to be uninstalled before any kind of re-installation, but the only information i can find on jailbreak uninstallation is to use the restore function (which i already have). so at this point i guess i need help (or a step by stem walkthrough would be best) with how i get cydia back onto this device. ANY HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
you guys must not be able to help me.
since you dont know about this ill help you.
if before you click restore, and instead you hold the shift button on the keyboard and then click restore (shift button + restore) a file console opens allowing you to choose your own ".ispw" file (or apple ios firmware package).
using this process i restored the ipod to 4.1.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I was actually aware of that (I use shift+Restore a lot), but with iPhones Apple doesn't allow you to restore to firmware older than 5.1 (or whatever the latest FW is) unless you use certain jailbreak tools to create a custom ipsw...is that different for iPods? I don't use one--does Apple allow you to restore iPods to any firmware you want?

And you tried these methods? For a 3rd gen iPod on 4.1, they should work fine.

For Mac
For Windows

Last edited:

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
im not sure about what itunes will and wont allow, but i was able to successfully restore to 4.1.
however my initial problem remains that i cant jailbreak the unit (no massie these methods DO NOT work "fine")

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought 4.1 was the only version you could restore without needing to be signed ... Most of the others you need the shsh blobs because apple don't sign the file only the newest version.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
cheeze it : i dont like you! you are rude to me.
thanks to everybody else for trying to help!
ok here is a screen cap i just took
is says 64GB ipod touch third gen running a fresh install of 4.1

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
cheeze it : i dont like you! you are rude to me.
thanks to everybody else for trying to help!
ok here is a screen cap i just took
is says 64GB ipod touch third gen running a fresh install of 4.1

Well I apologize.

Limerain is what you need from the infamous pothead geoholt...
I see you said that it didn't work for you before... Do you know how to get your touch into dfu mode??
Do you have all the drivers you need on your computer??

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
DFU mode?
that i do actually know nothing about =(
as for drivers im not sure what drivers i need, but if you tell me where to get them im sure i can handle that part!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well as long as you have iTunes then you have the drivers...
So, start with getting iTunes if you don't have it...
Then download limerain for windows...
Then plug your phone into your pc... Close iTunes if
It opened automaticAlly....
Then you run limerain...
Then while you phone is still connected to your pc, power down the phone... Then (here's the dfu part)
1. hold power for three seconds,
2. While STILL HOLDING POWER hold the home button for 10 seconds,
3. Release power BUT STILL HOLD ONTO HOME BUTTON until you see limerain take over your phone and do its thing...
Then you should be jailbroken in about 8 Minutes if I remember correctly

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-with-limera1n-how-to-video-guide/

Last edited:

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
oh is dfu mode to follow the limera1n instructions?
because im smart enough to follow limera1ns simple instructions, but it just dosent work..........
ok, im not sure where i went wrong, oh wait you said power down while connected to the computer i did this and now it wont do anything.....it wont even turn on......now what???

jakx

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
i dont exactly know what happened, but i somehow bricked it trying to follow your instructions....:confused:
however i was able to restore a fresh install of 4.1 on to it.
the initial problem still remains that limera1n wont jailbreak it.....:(