iOS 5.1 Bugs/Issues/Findings

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Set password required after 1 minute. Waited the one minute and tried to gain access thru the camera app. No access granted. Works perfectly fine.

Dictation still doesn't work properly though. Screen stays on when the phone is raised to my ear. Can anyone replicate this?

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a few people on Twitter on the regular 4 say they had this problem. Not JB and they tried both OTA and via iTunes on pc and or Mac. Not sure what the cause of this is. Both of my 4S's updated fine first try via iTunes on Mac. Never tried OTA.

jeans94621

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Steve28, is your time set to "Immediately"? That is what mine is set to and it does not work. I think people are saying if it's set to anything other than "Immediately" you can access your device without unlocking.

I don't know if this is really a security flaw. It's a flaw, sure, but if you have your time set to something like 1 minute doesn't it make sense that it won't ask you for the passcode because the time hasn't passed? :confused:

This was happening on my iPod touch and not my iPhone 4 but I rebooted my iPod and it works fine now. When you go into the camera app you cannot go further without your unlock code. I have tried all settings from 1minutes to never.

Chris B 1364

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem..... I've tried both way on my iPhone 4s and my wife's 4 with no luck at all.... and my iPad 1 and 2 won't update either.... At a lost on this

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
OTA hardly ever works for me. It just checks for about a solid minute then a message pops up that reads "unable to check for update, an error occured while checking for a software update". Am I supposed to be connected to wi-fi just to check for the update? I'd like to do this OTA because my internet at home is so slow and 5.0.1 took almost 2 hours.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Updated my 4s and wife's 4 both via OTA without issue yesterday upon release of iOS 5.1. Likely servers bogged or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
OTA hardly ever works for me. It just checks for about a solid minute then a message pops up that reads "unable to check for update, an error occured while checking for a software update". Am I supposed to be connected to wi-fi just to check for the update? I'd like to do this OTA because my internet at home is so slow and 5.0.1 took almost 2 hours.

I'd be connected to wi-fi with at least 50% battery left or have it plugged into a power source.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

Daze of October

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new here, and new to iPhones in general. Just as a warning, I am no technical wiz, so simple things for you may not be so simple for me, so go easy on me.

I just got my iPhone 4S about 3 days ago and there is an upgrade available for iOS 5.1. I've selected to download it through the "General" section on my iPhone and while the "information bar" states a download is in progress, nothing is happens for about 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes I get an error message which reads "SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED- An error occurred downloading iOS 5.1."

I have also tried plugging my phone into my computer (MacBook Pro) and am also getting error messages regarding downloads. I'm also getting a message that the network is unavailable. This strikes me as odd because my internet is working, plus I've activated my WiFi on the phone.

Can anyone help me?

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
After testing, I have to agree, that there is NO security flaw... if you set it to IMMEDIATELY, it's, well, immediate. If you set it to some other value, there us a timer involved before you are required to enter the password - exactly as one would expect. Steve28 is correct.

This is what I said like 15 posts ago. lol

The confusion people have is that they think the passcode and the auto lock are related. They are not. The passcode lock is simply for having to enter a password after waking the phone. The auto lock is to prevent butt dialing, wake up and to save battery so that the screen isn't always on.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The confusion people have is that they think the passcode and the auto lock are related. They are not. The passcode lock is simply for having to enter a password after waking the phone. The auto lock is to prevent butt dialing, wake up and to save battery so that the screen isn't always on.

Understood... but, as I said previously, on my iPhone 4S, it WAS displaying the flaw... until I did a hard rest...

And I also agree that there is a lot of confusion about the two settings... Apple could have done a better job with the menu to make those two non-linked but somewhat related options more clear.

Last edited:

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

This has been an interesting "story" to follow, as I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Glad to know there is a difference between Auto Lock and Passcode Lock. :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
So I was on the beta 5.1 and I downloaded the GM 5.1 ipsw from one of the sites and reloaded my phone. I dont have the new camera on the lock screen and my phone says im on build 9B5141a. I tried to resotore my phone again but i was not able to, I kept getting the your phone is not elidgeble for the req file error. I tried it on 2 diffrent computers. Any ideas??

Try a different site for the ipsw. I had to DL the ipsw also. Make sure it is the iPhone4,1_5.1_9B179_Restore. At least that is the one I used for the 4s.

goherd#IM

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Well nothing has changed on my phone. Battery life still terrible. Unplugged phone at 7:15 this morning. Made a couple phone calls, received a few emails, and had just two text and I am down to 47%. I live in Denver and he have zero 4G HSPA+ or LTE with AT&T but my Iphone shows it up. Yet again Apple lying to the consumer.

mlawrnce

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A little early to tell but as of right now my battery life seems significantly worse. Off charger for 8 hours and it's down to 49%. Light to moderate use. Usually at this time of day it's in the 70% +/- range. We'll see......

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
First thing I did when I got 5.1 is turn off 3G on my iP4S. Started the day at 100%, still at 91% 14 hours later!

I am near WiFi hotspots most of the day and at home 3G reception is awful.

So far, so good with iOS 5.1

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone seems to respond quicker, but SIRI does not respond by putting it up to your face any longer. It works by holding the home button just fine.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well nothing has changed on my phone. Battery life still terrible. Unplugged phone at 7:15 this morning. Made a couple phone calls, received a few emails, and had just two text and I am down to 47%. I live in Denver and he have zero 4G HSPA+ or LTE with AT&T but my Iphone shows it up. Yet again Apple lying to the consumer.

and yet you're still a consumer. weird

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner