Open SSH???

chadillacaz81

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is my dilema, I've recently heard that after 5.1 releases if your iphone crashes and you have to restore it, it will automatically download 5.1 ios. So i have read that a way around this is to install open ssh so that you can remove files from your computer to fix your iphone without having to restore it. Im profficient with my iphone but this scares me a little. i know that you have to change your password once installing open ssh because if not you are allowing hackers to gain access to your files. i have cyberduck installed but im hesitant on taking the next step. can anyone out there help me with this and should I install the open ssh. I dont want to lose my jailbreak. my iphone 4s is just about the coolest thing since sliced bread and I cant imagine my life without it now. Also if i should install it whats the best way to change the password in ssh? if anyone can guide me thru this i would greatly appreciate it. but just know im not a developer or computer programmer, im just an avid iphone user. let me put it this way, all my friends come to me for their iphone problems like jailbreaking and fixing their phone but this SSH business sounds to be a little bit out of my league.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
A general rule of thumb when SSHing is, if you dont know what the file is or what its for, leave it alone. As Far as changing the root password, open cydia and scroll to the bottom of the homepage and there is a how to that walks you through step by step on changing the root password on your device.

Reactions: chadillacaz81

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind too that there is a LOT you can do just via USB in terms of removing files and so on. Additionally, if you do decide to install OpenSSH, the password thing is only an issue if you leave SSH running all the time for some reason. If you just turn it off when you're done using it, the access is closed, and it's highly unlikely you'd be hacked. Is it better to change the password? Of course. But it's also much more likely that your phone would be stolen and your information taken that way.

Reactions: chadillacaz81

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2