Volume buttons and silent switch not working :/

CH1N087

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have that problem? Something that needs to be cleaned off or do I need to order a whole new part? Suggestions??

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning it off and on?

Depends a lot on what device you're talking about.

If it's an iPhone 3G or 3GS, you can open it up and check the connector, but if it were loose, it would also probably affect your sleep button and headphone jack. If opening it and pushing down the connector didn't fix it, the flex cable is probably shot and should be replaced.

If its a 4 or 4S, open it up and check the flex cable connector to those buttons. I don't remember if the cable is shared with anything else in those models. Same advice as above, though.

If its an iPad, I'm sure the steps are similar, but you'll probably need to buy a new set of fastening clips, since a few usually get broken when disassembled.

You might want to try a restore (without using a backup) and see if it is a wonky setting before taking it apart.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried turning it off and on?

Depends a lot on what device you're talking about.

If it's an iPhone 3G or 3GS, you can open it up and check the connector, but if it were loose, it would also probably affect your sleep button and headphone jack. If opening it and pushing down the connector didn't fix it, the flex cable is probably shot and should be replaced.

If its a 4 or 4S, open it up and check the flex cable connector to those buttons. I don't remember if the cable is shared with anything else in those models. Same advice as above, though.

If its an iPad, I'm sure the steps are similar, but you'll probably need to buy a new set of fastening clips, since a few usually get broken when disassembled.

You might want to try a restore (without using a backup) and see if it is a wonky setting before taking it apart.

Always try a software restore first before swapping out any hardware. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need something replaced.

What model iPhone is it?

CH1N087

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
MC678LL iPhone 4 Verizon. I've done a restore, erased it and then set it up as a new iPhone. I took the battery out but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I'm extremely new to disassembling the iPhone.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
MC678LL iPhone 4 Verizon. I've done a restore, erased it and then set it up as a new iPhone. I took the battery out but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I'm extremely new to disassembling the iPhone.

that's actually a pretty tough repair to do.

here's a guide - i don't have one up yet of my own for volume buttons given the difficulty. i'm trying to work up from easy to moderate to ninja

Installing iPhone 4 Verizon Volume Buttons - iFixit

Reactions: CH1N087

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR