Is there a eason to back up Jailbroken devices with iTunes?

tyler_zyco

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If you jailbreak an iDevice, is there a reason to back it up with iTunes after that point? I've read that iTunes will save your jailbreak data but then disregard it and dump it back on your phone in a restore, except it will be unusable and waste space.

So should I just keep my most recent non-Jailbroken backup on file and just make sure my important data gets on my computer through other ways like Dropbox?

Thanks for the wisdom/advice!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I personally never bother with iTunes backups. I manually back up app store apps data to Dropbox (via DataDeposit), and I don't really care about any Cydia app backups. I don't care about backing up text messages, either, and I manually copy pictures to my computer.

When I get a new phone or update the firmware, I just put stuff back on as I need it. If I don't remember to put it back on, I probably didn't need it that much, anyway...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreak or not, the answer really depends on how you handle your data. Some people sync things through iTunes (contacts, etc) and others don't. Personally I like to keep a backup for my settings and whatnot.

tyler_zyco

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing what TanBam does; Whenever my phone screws up, I restore fresh with iTunes and start fresh.

I would restore from a backup and save all of that trouble but many people have reported that bugs they experience return after doing so, and I cringe to thinking of iTunes putting all of my unusable jailbreak data back on my iPhone..
I still sync like Massie says though.

tyler_zyco

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should ask this:
If I jailbreak then backup, then reset my whole phone, then re-jailbreak, then restore from the iTunes backup, none of the jailbrak data is usable and is wasting space right?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
No, but if you're going to restore all of your settings, what is the point of resetting it?

The only time that I ever need to reset my phone and reload the same firmware is when I've really mucked something up and can't undo the damage via SSH or other means. This usually means that I definitely don't want to restore the data, since it could reintroduce the problem.

My contacts, email, photos, calendar, bookmarks, and some other things are in iCloud. My apps are backed up in Dropbox - and there aren't many apps that I use that need much more saved than usernames and passwords.

Don't worry about backups. I haven't used an iTunes backup since 2009, and there's even less use for it post iOS 5.x.

Backups are for those who want their phones to "just work", not the rest of us who want our phones to "just work better".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro