Scared to Jailbreak

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at all of these Jailbroken phones and I have personalization envy. I have never Jailbroken a Device and I am absolutely scared that I will end up with a bricked phone what is the easiest way to jailbreak or should I try with my iPad first!

Sent from HIS WORLD on my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i too was never afraid to jailbreak but if the DMCA jailbreak exemption does indeed expire, who knows what extent Apple will go to discourage it

are we treading in shark infested waters? only time will tell..

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard anyone bricking their phone from jailbreaking. With windows its simple as 1 click and your done to jailbreak.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Not really possible to brick the phone, except if you start playing around with some internal files/blobs. As just a user, you won't do any harm to the phone.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're using a 4s use absinthe

Untethered A5 jailbreak - Absinthe | greenpois0n.com

its really really easy...

Look for a youtube tutorial if you're that scared... but honestly i have been doing this since the iPhone 2g... and i have never... ever... ever bricked a phone.

It just doesn't happen with users.

Bootloops yes... but bricks... no lol... just do it... if you don't like it... DFU restore and set up as a new phone :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all of your help is there a particular software to use that will be easier for a novice user.

Greenpois0n is the easiest JB that I know of. Only took me less than 10 minutes. Choose the computer that you'll be using to JB your iPhone, download Greenpois0n, connect your iPhone and select "Jailbreak", follow the instructions from there. http://greenpois0n.com/

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i too was never afraid to jailbreak but if the DMCA jailbreak exemption does indeed expire, who knows what extent Apple will go to discourage it

are we treading in shark infested waters? only time will tell..

I'll take my chances and swim with the sharks. Liking this JB too much to go back to stock iOS again.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking the phone is the easy part. It's the customization that has a learning curve to it. Basically, once you jailbreak your phone, it will look exactly like the phone you have now, with the exception of the Cydia app store icon and access to same.
My suggestion is this: jailbreak it first. Browse the forums for a particular look or theme you are looking for, and then PM the user or post up for the information on how to achieve it. That's how I did it. I saw someone using the HTC clock theme on their home page, and asked how to do it. There's lots of tutorials on Youtube also about themes.
Some of the tweaks can be pretty involved, like going into the filesystem and altering lines of code, etc. If you have never used a Linux setup or are not familiar with terminal commands, blah blah blah then just stick with the basic themes and some of the more common apps.
I had a Droid before my 4S, and I always wanted to root it, but was intimidated to do it. The jailbreak process is so easy, I'd do it again and again. I love having a jailbroken phone now. And if you screw it up, just connect to your computer, fire up iTunes, and restore your phone. Back to normal!

Reactions: lamonicaj

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
to jailbreak an iphone is like going from a Blackberry to an iPhone.. it's really easy and once you do it, you'll never want to go back (to stock)...

at least that is the way it is for me.. YMMV...:cool:

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
It just seems so complicated to me. I downloaded to my computer and now I don't even know what to do next! I might just stay stock for a while...to scared!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
to jailbreak an iphone is like going from a Blackberry to an iPhone.. it's really easy and once you do it, you'll never want to go back (to stock)

I couldn't agree more with ya on this. I'm not going back to stock again until a new JB becomes available for the new iOS version.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It just seems so complicated to me. I downloaded to my computer and now I don't even know what to do next! I might just stay stock for a while...to scared!

Just Run what you downloaded and follow the last few steps. You're almost there, don't give up.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Open up the file you downloaded, make sure the phone is connected to the computer, hit the jailbreak button on the file. Sit back and relax. The phone does all the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I know it's all in my head, but after my first jailbreak, my iphone just felt more powerful in my hand..before I even did anything with it. It's perfect for certain personality types, not so much for others. Take my wife for example....she's an accountant.....and would never even consider jailbreaking her phone. She prefers for things to exist within a specific set of rules. Me, I've always been more of a gray are kind of guy. Jailbreaking was an inevitability for me. :cool:

Handlebars

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
If you can double click a file to run the program and plug in your iphone and click one button on a program. How is that hard or scary. If it does mess up you can restore your phone to stock putting it in dfu mode and try again or keep it stock you cant brick it.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I know it's all in my head, but after my first jailbreak, my iphone just felt more powerful in my hand..before I even did anything with it. It's perfect for certain personality types, not so much for others. Take my wife for example....she's an accountant.....and would never even consider jailbreaking her phone. She prefers for things to exist within a specific set of rules. Me, I've always been more of a gray are kind of guy. Jailbreaking was an inevitability for me. :cool:

Im an accountant and I know how your wife feels but I also fall in those shades of grey.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit