I Need help badly im out of options

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried to restore my Ipod to factory settings it would not work I got the 3194 error code so I read where it was jailbroke I had to edit a host file but I dont have a host in windows/system32/drivers/etc and now the "just boot" option in Redsn0w wont work my ipod shows the pinnaple but after that it just displays the white cord connect to itunes. I dont know what to do and need help please.

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Ive tried everything in your thread before I posted here. I have no host file i have even tried creating one. My friend just used my pc to jailbreak his why cant I get mine to boot??

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I did have a lmhosts file so i deleted apple.gs from it still didnt work then i got mad and deleted the file and still wouldnt work ive tried tinyumbrella also it wont even register my device and say etc/host file is not writable even tho there isnt a file thats when i created one and then tinyumbrella worked and I unchecked connect cydia etc. still no good I really think I have bricked this Ipod

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I did have a lmhosts file so i deleted apple.gs from it still didnt work then i got mad and deleted the file and still wouldnt work ive tried tinyumbrella also it wont even register my device and say etc/host file is not writable even tho there isnt a file thats when i created one and then tinyumbrella worked and I unchecked connect cydia etc. still no good I really think I have bricked this Ipod

You were not supposed to delete that file. iTunes runs on that file.

Try restoring from the latest backup in your PC that has the hosts file.

If it still doesn't work, try downloading TinyUmbrella and do Kick Out of recovery or go into the Advanced tab and make sure the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" thing is unchecked. If it's now, uncheck it your self.

If that doesn't work, bring it to the Apple Store.

One quick question, have you jailbroke this device in the past?

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Oy. Sorry I saw this so late, y'all.

So, your hosts file is a hidden file in Windows.

Go to Start, and go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

.. the enter. It'll open your hosts file.

Just open it in Notepad, and ERASE THE LINE that has gs.apple.com in it (probably looks like 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com).

Save it, reboot your computer.

Done. Fixed. Bam.

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
there is no host file, i have show hidden files checked plus show system critical files, i made a host file and tried that without the gs.apple line that redirects to cydia.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
there is no host file, i have show hidden files checked plus show system critical files, i made a host file and tried that without the gs.apple line that redirects to cydia.

Hmm.. weird. What version of Windows do you have? It SHOULD be there.. but I'm on Windows 7, and that's where mine is. It's probably different if you don't have that. Alternatively, you can download/install TinyUmbrella.. open it, and then un-check the boxes that say "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" and "Request SHSH from Cydia". That should remove anything that is blocking iTunes from contacting the Apple servers.. which is in your hosts file.. where ever that may be.

Try that and let me know how it fares.. :)

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have tried everything imaginable, its a total loss im just gonna buy a new one. Thanks to everyone that tried to help but I have done everything possible it has me stumped this is the first time in my life I couldnt salvage something it has to be a hardware failure or something after eevrything ive tried its the only possible explanation. Thanks everyone for the help

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have tried everything imaginable, its a total loss im just gonna buy a new one. Thanks to everyone that tried to help but I have done everything possible it has me stumped this is the first time in my life I couldnt salvage something it has to be a hardware failure or something after eevrything ive tried its the only possible explanation. Thanks everyone for the help

Sorry to hear that, but if you're interested in donating your iPod, shoot me a PM. (I'm getting interested in learning more about iOS development and so on and am trying to gather up a variety of devices, even if they aren't functional.) In the meantime, though--is there any reason you haven't tried taking it to an Apple store? If anyone can help, they can.

jbnett

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Im in wv there isnt a apple store around me the closest one is like a 6 hr drive prolly they will return it and give me a new one for like $100 and yea i tried a friends pc with itunes i even reinstalled windows and reinstalled itunes and tried that, ive tried tiny umbrella ive made host files, the only thing I can think of that screwed it up is maybe where i was dowloading update 5.01 when it shut off