Unlock iPhone 3gs 5.0.1 tmobile

Venport

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello-

The untethered JB for 5.0.1 came out the other day and I'm trying to get it working on my 3gs 5.0.1 on the tmoble network. This is my first JB so I may be missing something.

I used redsn0w 0.9.10b2 from the Dev-Team Blog and was successful in the JB and I've got Cydia running on the phone.

My problem is I don't think it's unlocked, I put the t-mobile sim in and it just searches and searches never finding the network. I've turned off 3g after reading that having 3g enabled may cause issues in with the tmobile network (however I thought they used 3g Just read that they use a different frequency for 3g than that the iPhone supports currently).

I installed untrasn0w yet it did not seem to help.

What am I missing? I'm sure it's something simple.

Thanks

Last edited:

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you preserve your baseband during the jailbreak?

You mentioned being a newbie first timer to jailbreaking, so I hoped you did all your research before doing the jailbreak.

Reactions: Venport

Venport

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ah crap no... I did lots of reading but I must have missed that. Am I screwed?

I still don't understand why the unlock is not working can someone explain.

Thankyou

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5.0 along with most other major upgrades will update your baseband. Your baseband is what determines whether or not you're able to unlock via ultrasn0w. Once you update the baseband, you cannot, CANNOT downgrade it.

Ultrasn0w only supports certain basebands, so not all basebands are unlockable, especially not the one which iOS 5.0 updated you to.

This is why you need to preserve it, all it does is disallow the entire iOS 5.0 update process from renewing your baseband.

This is why ultrasn0w isn't working, since your new baseband isn't compatible with the ones they already exploited in the past.

So with much misfortune, your phone is nothing but an iPod now, since you're reliant on Tmob.

You can only hope they support the new basebands in the near future, but i wouldn't hope too much, as it's been a long time since they've exploited any new ones.

GL

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
iOS 5.0 along with most other major upgrades will update your baseband. Your baseband is what determines whether or not you're able to unlock via ultrasn0w. Once you update the baseband, you cannot, CANNOT downgrade it.

Ultrasn0w only supports certain basebands, so not all basebands are unlockable, especially not the one which iOS 5.0 updated you to.

This is why you need to preserve it, all it does is disallow the entire iOS 5.0 update process from renewing your baseband.

This is why ultrasn0w isn't working, since your new baseband isn't compatible with the ones they already exploited in the past.

So with much misfortune, your phone is nothing but an iPod now, since you're reliant on Tmob.

You can only hope they support the new basebands in the near future, but i wouldn't hope too much, as it's been a long time since they've exploited any new ones.

GL

You are only partially correct. Depending on whether or not you have an older or newer model, you may be able to unlock still...

Go into settings, general, about - does your model start with MB or MC?

If MB, you have an older model 3GS and can update to the iPad 06.15.00 baseband and unlock via ultrasn0w.. If it is MC, then there is nothing you can currently do until that baseband is unlocked.

Venport

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's MC =(

Bah!

Just checking what baseband I'm using under about > Modem Firmware 05.16.05.

I expected I'm screwed until there is a hack for this baseband but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

TFausett

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So from what I have read and watched on that youtube video I can't unlock my phone for T-Mobile.
My serial number is 799463 and I was wondering if there was another way to unlock it to work on T-Mobile. Thanks for any help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2