Manually closing apps in multi-tasking bar to get some apps to work

Tanker57

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had to close some apps in the multi-tasking bar/area before some apps will finish opening? For example Facebook. I have opened apps and it seems to stall, then i manually close some apps and then the other app finishes opening or finishes completing its process.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I've never had that. But I have had it where my phone was freezing and bogging down because of not regularly closing down apps that we're running in the multi task bar... I would like to see apple add a 'close all' feature when trying to shut down multiple apps in the multitask bar.

That is probably my most envied feature of my jail broken counter parts.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never had that. But I have had it where my phone was freezing and bogging down because of not regularly closing down apps that we're running in the multi task bar... I would like to see apple add a 'close all' feature when trying to shut down multiple apps in the multitask bar.

That is probably my most envied feature of my jail broken counter parts.

I never close an application in the application switcher and my phone never slows down..

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I read an article here that you didn't ever have to close down those background apps.

I also read an article here that if your iPhone or iPad is sluggish you may want to close them.

I wasn't having any issues but just closed 32. Just in case. Can't hurt.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Facebook's app is garbage. Plain and simple. I can't explain the other apps you may have issues with, but for Facebook, it's solely on them.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I read an article here that you didn't ever have to close down those background apps.

I also read an article here that if your iPhone or iPad is sluggish you may want to close them.

I wasn't having any issues but just closed 32. Just in case. Can't hurt.

your right its not going to hurt the phone to close them out. I personally just have never seen the need it takes to much time to close them out so I don't bother..

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
New to Apple and iPad2.

On the iPad2, how do you know if the apps displaying in the multitask bar are open or are they just displaying because they are the most recent apps that were used?

Most of the time I close each app with the 4 finger gesture but it shows up in the multitask bar along with any app I might not have closed.

TIA

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Found this on a tech2hell website,

"When too many applications run in the background, they slow down the iPhone and use extra power. By closing these extra apps, users can extend the life of their battery?s charge and enjoy using a faster device. Background applications pile up on the iPhone because the phone does not completely shut them down after use. Instead, the iPhone keeps applications in an intermediate state so they will quickly start should users wish to return to them."

It makes sense that when this apps are 'suspended" in the background they are using up some of the RAM of the phone. I have seen it myself, my cowrker has a jailbroken iPhone. He has a Ram usage meter running and when he opens the multi task bar and uses another jail break app to shut down all apps running in the background his available RAM will shoot right back up.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I was always the type to close down my apps in the middle of the day and then at night right before turning in for bed, for both my iPad and iPhone.

Thx for those tips/info you found Kristy Lyn. :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
New to Apple and iPad2.

On the iPad2, how do you know if the apps displaying in the multitask bar are open or are they just displaying because they are the most recent apps that were used?

Most of the time I close each app with the 4 finger gesture but it shows up in the multitask bar along with any app I might not have closed.

TIA

Hey TT. They are displaying because those were the most recent apps you used and are in suspend mode.

:eek: ok, n00b question, what exactly is the four finger gesture to close an app? Lol. Is it your way of saying double tap home button, hold for wiggle, tap X and click home button again ?

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTiger

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was always the type to close down my apps in the middle of the day and then at night right before turning in for bed, for both my iPad and iPhone.

Thx for those tips/info you found Kristy Lyn. :)

My pleasure Pink, anytime! Also the four finger gesture is when you use four fingers in a big to small pinching mode on the screen when the app is open. This will shrink and close the app. Here's a video link to show you how to do it:

iPad iOS4.3 Multi Finger Gesture Quit App and Change App - YouTube

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey TT. They are displaying because those were the most recent apps you used and are in suspend mode.

:eek: ok, n00b question, what exactly is the four finger gesture to close an app? Lol. Is it your way of saying double tap home button, hold for wiggle, tap X and click home button again ?

Tks for the info Pink,
By now, you would have read Kristy_Lyn post that answered you question about the 4 finger gesture.
Good Luck

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My pleasure Pink, anytime! Also the four finger gesture is when you use four fingers in a big to small pinching mode on the screen when the app is open. This will shrink and close the app. Here's a video link to show you how to do it:

iPad iOS4.3 Multi Finger Gesture Quit App and Change App - YouTube
Thx so much !! That's pretty wicked, lol :D I just learned something new:)
Tks for the info Pink,
By now, you would have read Kristy_Lyn post that answered you question about the 4 finger gesture.
Good Luck
yvw, glad to help out:)

Merry Christmas to all:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices