the grass isnt always greener...

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
This post isn't intended to bash or bad mouth any jail breakers or their supporters. This is just my experience that i wanted to share to anyone on the fence about doing this mod. I jail broke my device via redsnow on 5.0.1 firmware pointed to 5.0 successfully and liked it very much at first for a couple weeks and then i realized i just wanted my regular device restored back to original apple software. Why? you might ask... because after the jail break i wasn't pleased with the way it slowed my device down (not a whole lot just enough to make me not like it lol) i am a fan of speed when it comes to launching my apps and lock screen notifications and so on. It also would sometimes crash depending on what i was installing or doing. not a real big deal but again just enough to upset me. So with that said i thought to my self yea this stuff is cool and fun to tinker with when I'm bored but now I'm over it and want my ROCK SOLID Apple device back that "Just Works" (quote from Steve) all the time flawlessly and with speed. So that's what i did.. i restored it to factory settings and got my wonderful clean looking solid acting device back and now have a new found respect for the simple clean looking wonderful operating iPhone and Apple software. i will hang on to my jailbreak files just incase i get bored again tho

wamadden4

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Ditto... i came to the realization that jailbreaking wasnt worth it... stock "Just Works" and it works smoothly and the only thing I really miss is Bite SMS... that was awesome... but other than that, I can live without it...

andyriot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea I agree as well. I tried it out and between slow downs, crashing, apps disappearing -- I didn't feel it was worth it for the few tweaks I was able to utilize. I don't much care for free apps, I buy what I want. Happily enjoying my stock iOS5 for now!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm all for people using their device as they see fit, whether that means going the stock route or jailbreaking. But it's funny you mention speed--after jailbreaking and using FakeClockUp on my iPhone 4, I'm always shocked at how slow my wife's stock 4S feels. Love that tweak!

You're definitely right about crashes, though--especially with such a massive firmware update as iOS 5, it can take a long time before all the jailbreak developers can update their apps (and get them to play well together). I'm pretty careful about my jb installs but have still run into the occasional bug with a new update.

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
To each his own as I think Jailbreaking is the way to go. Barrel, Themes, FakeClockUp and so on. Being able to experiment with otherwise nonexistent tweaks (maybe Siri legally on the iPhone 4 as a result of the new update) is fantastic. Intelliscreen X is worth the jailbreak alone fwiw. I just make sure to toy with it at home when tinkering with major tweaks and SemiTether works extremely well when I just can't wait to do it at home. I used Snowbreeze and pointed to 5.0.1 and it has been flawless. I definitely enjoy it pure as well it's just not quite as fun...

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This post isn't intended to bash or bad mouth any jail breakers or their supporters. This is just my experience that i wanted to share to anyone on the fence about doing this mod. I jail broke my device via redsnow on 5.0.1 firmware pointed to 5.0 successfully and liked it very much at first for a couple weeks and then i realized i just wanted my regular device restored back to original apple software. Why? you might ask... because after the jail break i wasn't pleased with the way it slowed my device down (not a whole lot just enough to make me not like it lol) i am a fan of speed when it comes to launching my apps and lock screen notifications and so on. It also would sometimes crash depending on what i was installing or doing. not a real big deal but again just enough to upset me. So with that said i thought to my self yea this stuff is cool and fun to tinker with when I'm bored but now I'm over it and want my ROCK SOLID Apple device back that "Just Works" (quote from Steve) all the time flawlessly and with speed. So that's what i did.. i restored it to factory settings and got my wonderful clean looking solid acting device back and now have a new found respect for the simple clean looking wonderful operating iPhone and Apple software. i will hang on to my jailbreak files just incase i get bored again tho

Like you said, you can always go back, it's not permanent. Anyone interested should give it a try. If they don't like it, it's a quick restore.

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
i completely agree... i had a great time exploring the jailbreak and all the fun things that come along with it, even a couple expensive tweaks to the UI and others. i will do the mod again someday, just not until some Developers have a chance to catch up with Apple's latest and greatest update. i think if your somewhat savoy enough to do this then you should definitely go for it and make up your own mind based upon your experience but for now i am very pleased with the reliability, consistency, rock solid iPhone as is

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i completely agree... i had a great time exploring the jailbreak and all the fun things that come along with it, even a couple expensive tweaks to the UI and others. i will do the mod again someday, just not until some Developers have a chance to catch up with Apple's latest and greatest update. i think if your somewhat savoy enough to do this then you should definitely go for it and make up your own mind based upon your experience but for now i am very pleased with the reliability, consistency, rock solid iPhone as is

I'm curious, would you consider sacrificing some performance and OS stability if you can get an untethered iOS 5 jailbreak and a fully working Siri port?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have to say i do enjoy being pure and jailbroken. i am always going back & forth. i can defintielty tell a difference in stability but it is almost a trade off. however, my reasons for jailbreaking have changed over time. now i do it more for making a great system even better (ISX, CallBar, FullScreen for Safari, ScreenDimmer etc.), no more themes or changing icons because i am satisfied with Apples version

although i think its cool that Siri will be an option, i have no desire to use it. even when i get the "next" version of the iPhone, i will shut it off

that being said, i Restored as New a couple of days ago and have been enjoying the superb battery life.... and ready for that userland JB :)

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the poster here. I have never jail broken my hone but did my ipad2 awhile ago. Initially everything was fun to check out and then the novelty wore off. Not to mention the thing was crashing or lagging all the time. Both of which made for a negative jailbreak experience. I finally reset the iPad am have never really looked back at jail breaking. Although I do envy some of the features that my jail broken counterparts have. I certainly don't envy it when their phones are crashing or lagging right down!

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, would you consider sacrificing some performance and OS stability if you can get an untethered iOS 5 jailbreak and a fully working Siri port?

That would definitely sweeten the deal and to answer your question... yes, that is exactly what i'm waiting for

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Luckily for me I jailbroke all my idevices THE DAY I got them in my sweaty hands... So I have no "stock" experiences!
Therefore the "instability" of a jailbreak feels quite normal for me! As I have nothing else to compare it too.
I just have a problem with people telling me what I can and cannot do on something I own!
If it LITERALLY cannot do something because if hardware then that's cool, but if it can do something, and is locked down, or underdeveloped, then that's just not right!!!! Jailbreak allows for things to work "like they should" as opposed to "just works"...

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
underdeveloped, then that's just not right!!!! Jailbreak allows for things to work "like they should" as opposed to "just works"...

i think you are spot on with the underdeveloped part of your comment and jailbreak allows you to explore the capabilities of your iDevice. Apple's precision engineering and developing teams won't allow them to tarnish their device with software that is underdeveloped that works some of the time. The company is more concerned about making sure the consumer has a smart phone that they can rely on and be there for them to operate accurately every time it is launched. not how many widgets or add ons you can stuff in your device

don't get me wrong i am pro jailbreak... once it is not so sketchy. the problem is all these developers are releasing software without taking the time to make sure it is tight and working flawlessly. also there are compatibility issues with some add-ons as well. it is just to unrefined right now, but they are making huge strides in the right direction. we as consumers just need to be patient. so Apple can fully bake some of these things we want out of our "stock" iDevices

Last edited:

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I have to say I agree with all your points. I have had a jailbroken iphone since my 3G in 2008. It was totally slowed down when jailbroken. With my iphone 4, I did notice a slow down but since it was a faster cpu it wasn't as taxing as it was on the iphone 3G.

It's very time consuming to have a jailbroken iphone. You need to be careful what you add from the various repositories in Cydia and to keep track of every change you make. b I briefly had a jailbroken iphone 4 using iOS 5 before I sold it to get my 4S. Since there was a small amount of compatible iOS5 apps back in early mid-October,I didn't have many jb apps. My iphone 4 ran smooth when it was jailbroken.

I have high hopes that my when the 4S will be jailbroken that since its dual core the slowdown will be barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fofer

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Y'all must be installing the wrong things -- or too many things. Or not willing to do the proper homework.

A jailbroken iDevice with nothing extra installed is no slower or less stable than a stock device. It's exactly the same, with an open backdoor for more customizability and tweaks, that's all.

And as we learned from Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Install the few tweaks you need, do your research, be prepared to troubleshoot if things go wrong... and a jailbroken device is perfectly fast and stable.

If you're not one to be cautious and don't want to take the time to carefully research and curate the few add-ons you need... then jailbreaking isn't for you.

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
i think you misunderstood the point i was trying to get across. i like jailbroken iDevices, but since i updated my firmware to 5.0.1 i noticed more tweaks were not also updated to support 5.0.1 so i removed it until the developers can catch up bub. sorry if i confused ya :)

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Like Fofer said, I believe most people who have issues with jailbreaking either are loading WAY to many apps, tweaks, themes, etc... or possibly not rebooting after apps installs when you need to (loading multiple apps without rebooting).

I love to JB, but I respect anyone who doesn't. I personally can't live without BiteSMS, LockInfo, SBSettigns, and My3G. For the longest time I swore I would never JB but then I did with JBme.com came out and I quickly was hooked. When 5.0 came out I had to go pure and I swore that I would never tether JB but with the help of tipb I had the confidence to try and now don't even worry about the tether JB especially where there is semithethered available.

For anyone who is on the fence try it, download SBSettings and the free trial LockInfo and if you text, the free trial of BIteSMS. If after a few days you don't like it all you have to do is a restore.

I bet TheGoodSon performance issue is due to the lack of CPU power and RAM on the 3Gs. I have the iPhone 4 and don't have any lagging. I also haven't noticed any difference in compatibility from 5.0 to 5.0.1. It's been my experience if it works for 5.0 it works for 5.0.1.

Last edited:

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
There are also a lot of great features finally added in iOS5 (notification center, customized OS sounds,etc) that I won't need to find equivalent tweaks for or SSH into the filesystem for when the new jailbreak gets released.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since it's so new, won't it improve all that that your complaining about? I have my iPad jailbroken on 4.3 and i don't see any performance issues from when it was stock. My guess is since its so new to v5.X this could be the issues your experiencing.....Give it sometime and check back.