Wondering about jailbreaking

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I got my iPad 2 last week (love it!) and also own an iPhone 4 - both running the latest iOS. Even though I'm reluctant to make any big changes to my stuff, the whole jailbreaking thing intrigues me especially for people who use it to do things like install Cydia apps and link their iPhones to iPads with apps like MyWi. For people who do that, how much success have you had with it? I guess I worry about the whole "voiding of warranty" threat, but at the same time, we can restore our phones to pre-jailbreak status. I'm sorry if I've posted questions that others have asked. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Overall jailbreak apps that you get from Cydia's default repositories tend to work as advertised and don't crash your phone. (that's because they're tested before being put up there)
Although I have to point out that not all tweaks have been updated to support iOS 5.
Also the payment system is quite simple - they use PayPal and link your purchases to your Cydia account so you won't have to pay twice for the same tweak.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I have had a jailbroken iphone since my first iphone (3G) in 2008. When I first jailbroke it, I wondered to myself "why did I wait so long to do this?" The whole method for doing it has gotten way easier. There are many youtube videos and websites like tipb.com, modmyi.com, redmondpie.com that have great guides for support and help.
If you are worried about voiding the Applecare warranty, anytime I have had a hardware defect like dead pixels, yellow screen, temperature warning, dead home button and my iphones were under warranty, I restored the firmware as a new phone beforehand and was able to do a swap.

The ironic thing about the available apps in the Cydia app store is that eventually features/apps that you previously could only get on a jailbroken iphone ended up being available in a future firmware release. Heck, Apple even hired a former jailbreak app developer whose major work ended up being the iOS 5 notification center.

Hope this helps.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
mfm77-

Currently, with your iphone 4 on 5.x firmware, you can have a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w/pwnage/snowbreeze tools. What tethered means is that if you have to reboot your iphone, you will need to be near a Mac/Win machine to re-jailbreak it and use it. That's a major drawback to having a tethered jailbreak. Fortunately, there's also a free tweak in Cydia called semi-tether that will let you reboot your iphone when its jailbroken and still be usable. I was doing this successfully with my iphone 4 on iOS 5.0 just before I sold it and bought the 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight on jailbreaking. While I may not go as far as doing the data plan tethering through MyWi, I may give the jailbreak a go and look at the world beyond Apple apps and stuff. It sounds like most people have had success with it and that it's becoming more common that not.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
There is no jailbreak for the 4S. When there is one, all of the devs on twitter (@MuscleNerd, @p0sixninja, @iH8sn0w, @Pod2G, @Saurik) will tweet about it. Please do not ask them about it, that annoys them :)

It's looking gloomy for the 4S untethered jailbreak. I am crossing my fingers though.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's looking gloomy for the 4S untethered jailbreak. I am crossing my fingers though.

I have a feeling an untethered JB will come out sooner with iOS 5.1 on the 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal