iOS 5.1 Beta 1 bugs and changes

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Did you do a full discharge or just updated and let it go? From what it seems on iOS5, people fully discharge their phones and they experience incredible battery life for the next cycle and after that it's back to normal. So if you didn't do a discharge that's very encouraging.

Updated and let it go.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You didn't look deep enough for UI changes. Another change is in mail and text messaging. If you compose a new message in mail, you'll notice they shrunk the space bar and added an @ and . on the keyboard. Switch to the body of the message, it'll go back the normal way. Same for messaging.

That's in 5.01 already.

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to go back to 5.0.1? I feel as if my battery life got much worse... unless its just bad reception thats making it drop so badly...

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
is there a way to go back to 5.0.1? I feel as if my battery life got much worse... unless its just bad reception thats making it drop so badly...

Plug-In your Phone
Turn it off
Put Phone into DFU Mode (Videos on YouTube)
Shift + Restore for Windows/Option + Restore for Mac
Select .ipsw and Restore

Did mine yesterday... Just make sure you have your 5.0.1 .ipsw

iPhone, iPod, iPad and Firmware/Software Download

The Link ^ up there is a website where you can download the .ipsw.

Reactions: sharky2006

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
As pointed out before, if you are concerned with battery life, STAY AWAY from this 5.1 beta, as it has been making the battery issue worse than 5.0.1

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
As pointed out before, if you are concerned with battery life, STAY AWAY from this 5.1 beta, as it has been making the battery issue worse than 5.0.1

Speak for yourself. Battery life has improved for me. However I have had a couple of kernel panics, forcing reboots and resetting a few settings. Twice so far. This was when I went to settings, general, usage.

B

bonesb

No offense, but you're running a JBed device and therefore not running the beta. I'm on two stock devices, and am running the 5.1 beta on both of them. I conditioned the battery on both devices overnight, and since have had much-improved battery life - even with my VZW iPhone 4 while in USCC-only territory for two days over the weekend (therefore roaming the entire time), with several email accounts being polled via Fetch and Push.

IMO and in my personal experience with the 5.1 beta, you're simply regurgitating FUD.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
No offense, but you're running a JBed device and therefore not running the beta. I'm on two stock devices, and am running the 5.1 beta on both of them. I conditioned the battery on both devices overnight, and since have had much-improved battery life - even with my VZW iPhone 4 while in USCC-only territory for two days over the weekend (therefore roaming the entire time), with several email accounts being polled via Fetch and Push.

IMO and in my personal experience with the 5.1 beta, you're simply regurgitating FUD.

NM! Read wrong post.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

B

bonesb

I have an off-topic but in-thread post. First, I'm kind of pissed off about what I discovered so bear with me please (I'm kind of growling too...). :mad:

Since the 5.1 update came out, I'd noticed the Location Services (LS) icon turning on periodically, even with no services-related apps running. I'd "blocked" a couple of apps' access to LS to conserve battery life while I was out and about this past weekend (Weather app, for example). But, still the LS icon would flash and a few times the screen would turn on for a few seconds with the LS icon turning on then off in the Status Bar.

One mystery solved.

This could be just my device. I plugged my two iPhones in and wanted to update a Configuration Profile, and fired up the Xcode iPhone Configuration Utility. And, one of my two iPhones had the LS icon turn on 5-6 times while it was on in front of me. I visited the Console Log and found this snippet of text repeated several times in the Log (with changing time codes, of course):

Dec 5 16:02:00 ATT-iPhone-4 Preferences[89] <Warning>: EntityClassUnknown: com.AlphonsoLabs.iphone.PulseNewsReader
{
Purpose = "Pulse wants to know your location in order to deliver news happening around you";
}

Pulse was not open. Pulse was not running the background. Pulse had not been turned on in 5 days. Pulse had no "local" feeds. My iPhone had been restarted at least twice since I'd opened and closed Pulse. And, Alphonso Labs offers no means to control LS access in device Settings or app settings.

The Pulse app "checked" my location at least 4 times in a matter of 10 minutes. The Pulse app didn't check my location when I opened it. The iTunes Store indicates that the Pulse App is iOS 5 compatible.

I've notified Alphonso Labs and I'll be notifying Apple via my developer account. I've deleted the Pulse app; the LS icon hasn't turned on randomly since.

I'd been wondering why my ATT device had slightly-to-moderately greater battery drain when compared to my VZW device; the Pulse app wasn't installed on my VZW device. Now, I have an idea of why - I'll be looking through my Console logs to see which other apps are IDing me without my permission. I'm writing this FYI only for those not happy with their device's battery life, not wanting to open up a hot debate (I won't be engaging in one either). YMMV.

B

bonesb

Nope. It's not random - the app's making a call and it's evident in 5.1 but not 5.0, and it's doing something it shouldn't. I don't appreciate the snark, I'll keep it to myself from now on.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
dumb question time..

while using Safari; has the URL address and Google search bar always had the slide away feature to give you more of a fullscreen leaving just the statusbar? hope that makes sense

i guess i do not remember in builds past since most of the time i was jailbroken and used FullScreen for Safari. my apologies if it's been mentioned already

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner