Persistent Wi-Fi not in iOS 5.0.1?

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I just got a Sprint iPhone 4S (running iOS 5.0.1) and I'm loving it. Whenever I'm at home or in a building, I've pretty much always got Wi-Fi turned on (and connected). I noticed that after it's been locked for a few minutes and I go to unlock it, the 3G symbol shows for a few seconds, then switches to the Wi-Fi symbol. I take that to mean that at some point, while locked, it turned off Wi-Fi and was on 3G. I was under the impression that persistent Wi-Fi was added in iOS 4, so is this a bug, or was that removed in iOS 5? Thanks!

-mtmjr90

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I just got a Sprint iPhone 4S (running iOS 5.0.1) and I'm loving it. Whenever I'm at home or in a building, I've pretty much always got Wi-Fi turned on (and connected). I noticed that after it's been locked for a few minutes and I go to unlock it, the 3G symbol shows for a few seconds, then switches to the Wi-Fi symbol. I take that to mean that at some point, while locked, it turned off Wi-Fi and was on 3G. I was under the impression that persistent Wi-Fi was added in iOS 4, so is this a bug, or was that removed in iOS 5? Thanks!

-mtmjr90

Wifi hasn't been persistent for as long as I can remember. I have a iPhone 4 running 4.2 and it's not persistent I also have a 4s on 5.01 and it's not persistent. It's to save battery life.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you know what, I believe it's that persistent Wi-Fi is available on iPod Touches (post iOS 4) since there is no other data connection and their batteries have less strain since there's no cell radios. I used to have an iPod Touch 4G so I just assumed that would be on iPhones as well. Thanks!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you know what, I believe it's that persistent Wi-Fi is available on iPod Touches (post iOS 4) since there is no other data connection and their batteries have less strain since there's no cell radios. I used to have an iPod Touch 4G so I just assumed that would be on iPhones as well. Thanks!

No problem glad to help!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have found a way to do this. I don't get good reception in my house, so I turned off cellular data (general -> network), and just have wifi on. I still get everything (push notifications, iMessage, etc), even in the middle of the night. So if wifi was still turning off after the screen locked, I wouldn't be getting my emails. So try that. Maybe it'll work for you too.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have found a way to do this. I don't get good reception in my house, so I turned off cellular data (general -> network), and just have wifi on. I still get everything (push notifications, iMessage, etc), even in the middle of the night. So if wifi was still turning off after the screen locked, I wouldn't be getting my emails. So try that. Maybe it'll work for you too.

That's a great idea, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods