"other" area of capacity

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Right but I'm guessing but it's a known fact the bigger the storage cap, the more there is unusable due to OS reasons lol

with any storage medium.. hard drives flash memory etc there is loss of storage.. I have no idea why that is but even if you by lets say a 16gb flash usb stick its not a full 16gb. It always has a loss.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
with any storage medium.. hard drives flash memory etc there is loss of storage.. I have no idea why that is but even if you by lets say a 16gb flash usb stick its not a full 16gb. It always has a loss.

Right, I knew that .. Between that and the OS I didn't know what the true numbers were lol

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The difference comes down to bad naming. HD manufacturers used the names Kilobyte, megabyte, etc. The Kilo prefix stands for 1000 and Mega stands for 1 million. The manufacturers started measuring off that ( where a megabyte is 1,000,000 ) bytes, where in actuality a megabyte is 1,024,000 bytes. This is where the "loss" comes from.

Reactions: noaim

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The difference comes down to bad naming. HD manufacturers used the names Kilobyte, megabyte, etc. The Kilo prefix stands for 1000 and Mega stands for 1 million. The manufacturers started measuring off that ( where a megabyte is 1,000,000 ) bytes, where in actuality a megabyte is 1,024,000 bytes. This is where the "loss" comes from.

Thank you! That's what I was referring to, but was too lazy to look it up!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

thanks for this..

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, if anyone has a major "Other" area on their iphone.
If you just deleted some videos/photos reset your iphone to make the "Other" area go back to what it normally is.
I deleted about 8Gb of video (i recorded a concert) and my other was shot up at 3.5ish, turned my phone off and back to and it shrunk down to its normal .56gb.
From what i read around the internet, camera roll and photos app don't always agree with each other haha.