iOS 5.0.1 is now available

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to ask. You can use iTunes to download the update. Plug in your device to sync, and if the update is not presented just click "Check for Update." Are you wanting to have iTunes download the update separately without a device connected? If so, I agree that would be nice. You could search for a "bootleg" copy of the update on the web, I suppose. I did that to get the 5.0 GM a week before it dropped. HTH.
in case you weren't aware, if you plug into iTunes the download is 813MB. If you do it through the wi-fi on your iPhone the file is only 55MB. I don't understand why I can't just use the 3G to download it like I could on my BB. It forces me to go out of my way to download the update

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
in case you weren't aware, if you plug into iTunes the download is 813MB. If you do it through the wi-fi on your iPhone the file is only 55MB. I don't understand why I can't just use the 3G to download it like I could on my BB. It forces me to go out of my way to download the update

because the carriers dont want you to download it over 3g it taxes there network in an unnecessary manor.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

They (Apple & the providers) are protecting themselves from people blowing a data cap and blaming it on the update. Yes, there are people who would do just that.

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

@rewNATION~
Judging by your posts on these 2 threads, this is obviously bothering you a great deal. You couldn't do this OTA at all a month ago and now it's a hassle? Can't you just find a Starbucks or a McDonalds and have a coffee and download? It takes, like, less than 5 minutes. I wish I could take you there and buy your coffee. Seems like it would make your day!

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have my iphone and ipad set to automatically download apps as updates occur. is there a way to check if it has downloaded any? I am still occasionally getting alerts of an update and still downloading myself. Thanks.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have my iphone and ipad set to automatically download apps as updates occur. is there a way to check if it has downloaded any? I am still occasionally getting alerts of an update and still downloading myself. Thanks.

The software update? Look under Software Update in General Settings. It will show what version you are using. An OS update won't download automatically. You have to choose to download it. When you're in Software Update, hit the option to download.

So far, I've found the update to be an improvement as it makes the apps quicker to load. Not noticed much of a change in battery life, though.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

There are two different areas for "updates" - Apps and purchases and iOS itself.

You CAN set up your iOS devices (that are running iOS 5.x) to:

1. Automatically download Apps, Music and Books that you purchase from another iOS device or in iTunes using the SAME iTunes account. This option is to download new purchases, but NOT to automatically update the Apps, Music or Books. It's for synching new purchases only. All updates to Apps, Music and Books MUST be manually processed to update via the iTunes store/iTunes App Store on your device.
  2. Automatically download iOS updates ("deltas") to your phone via wi-fi only, but the installation does NOT take place automatically. Not sure how/why it works like it does, but there does appear to be some other factor that figures into the mix... At any rate, you MUST install the update manually.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
@rewNATION~
Judging by your posts on these 2 threads, this is obviously bothering you a great deal. You couldn't do this OTA at all a month ago and now it's a hassle? Can't you just find a Starbucks or a McDonalds and have a coffee and download? It takes, like, less than 5 minutes. I wish I could take you there and buy your coffee. Seems like it would make your day!
I just don't have the time anymore. Plus I never use my laptop anymore. Going to some fast food place is exactly what I was trying not to do. It's an inconvenience. I've been able to do OTA downloads for as long as I can remember on my old BB's over 2G and 3G

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77