iOS 5.0.1 kills my battery?

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
update:

charged yesterday @ 11:45 to 100% - by midnight - after watching an entire movie (streamed through netflix) and text, email, facebook, a few calls, internet lookups - i was at 50%. conclusion is it seems no different than before.

only issue is this am, after charging all night.. my phone was on 99% and wifes was on 91%. unplug/replug and they went up the rest.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After having issues the last few days with my iPhone 4 (not 4S), I let the battery drain yesterday and then charged it overnight. Other than tweet once and check (but not write) an email, I haven't used it. Yet, within an hour and a half of standby with 2 apps running in the background, it's down to 65 percent. That never happened with iOS 5 (the first version), so I'm as perplexed as everyone else. I wish we could restore back to the previous version, but alas, that does not seem possible.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
After having issues the last few days with my iPhone 4 (not 4S), I let the battery drain yesterday and then charged it overnight. Other than tweet once and check (but not write) an email, I haven't used it. Yet, within an hour and a half of standby with 2 apps running in the background, it's down to 65 percent. That never happened with iOS 5 (the first version), so I'm as perplexed as everyone else. I wish we could restore back to the previous version, but alas, that does not seem possible.

I too was getting solid battery life on my 4S until I did the 5.0.1 OTA update. The battery life was awful for me on Friday. I went out on Friday night with about 25% battery life, didn't touch my phone at all, and pulled it out to check the time and it was dead.

Yesterday I did a restore in iTunes and restored via an iCloud backup. Everything seems to be fine again.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I saw a statement from Apple where they think this 5.01 fixed battery issues?? now what? Do they really think this update did the trick? do they even have people that read forums to see what their customers are saying or thinking? just wondering..

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I posted earlier about how iOS 5.0.1 was draining the battery on my iPhone 4. Last night, I let my battery drain & then charged it, but this morning, I lost 20 percent (with no use of the phone) in no time. So, I searched a few of the forums and found a possible solution.

Go to Settings --> General --> Reset (at the bottom) and then select "Reset All Settings." This WON'T reset your entire phone (you'll still have your apps, messages, etc.) but will reset some of the more general settings. When I did it, I had to reselect the language, set up my wifi again, and a couple of other things (a ringtone or two).

My battery had been at 48 percent when I did it. I recharged it, and since I did that, the battery's been much better and has held virtually its entire charge for the last couple of hours. I'm hoping this will last, but so far, so good. I hope it works for you all.

ERosales

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my battery issue has been resolved for the most part, by terminating all the apps running in the background through the "multi tasking" pane.

I noticed that even after a "hard reset", my memory usage was pretty high with only about 16mg free at any given time. I didn't realize that programs could be terminated using this method and didn't realize these apps were still running in the background (Coming from a BB, so not used to Apple's version of Multi Tasking lol). Even after the update, which i did OTA, these apps were all still running after the reboot. Before turning these all my apps off (which was virtually everything on my iPhone) my battery usage was average of 2% every half hour on standby. Looking at my usage, my phone was at one point at 3 to 4 hours, even though this was a time where my phone was actually on Standby.

After terminating all the apps, I'm holding a full 100 % charge at about 2 hours of standby, and a couple of text messages. And my free memory is now at about 250 mb. There must have been a rogue process/program that was running initially in the background that was sucking my battery dry.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How do I terminate Apps running in the background using the "multitasking pane"? I came from Android, and that OS would automatically kill running apps. (there was an app called Task Killer, but that was a waste of time). In OS5 how can I tell what's running in the background? I'm of the belief that an OS cannot by itself help with battery use, it's all about the apps that are running, GPS, searching for signals, that drain the battery.

Last edited:

ERosales

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
How do I terminate Apps running in the background using the "multitasking pane"? I came from Android, and that OS would automatically kill running apps. (there was an app called Task Killer, but that was a waste of time). In OS5 how can I tell what's running in the background? I'm of the belief that an OS cannot by itself help with battery use, it's all about the apps that are running, GPS, searching for signals, that drain the battery.

Just double click the home button while your screen is unlocked. A pane pops up on the bottom with a bunch of icons, which are all your active apps.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I posted in a thread about poor battery life post-5.0.1 on the Apple website, and I just got a call from a guy at AppleCare who read my post. It looks like they are taking this very seriously, and are trying to get to the bottom of it. I was on the phone w/ the guy for 20 minutes, and he wanted all of the details about my usage.

Moral of the story -- we can complain all we want here, but nobody that matters will see it. You gotta take it straight to the source. My post was Friday morning, and I just got a call -- less than one full business day later. Apple is on it -- very proud to support them.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

double click the home button tell you see a bar with your open apps in it then touch and hold one of the apps untill it wiggles now you can x them out by hitting the - sign

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Siri always has the answer for me.

52715_378_585_cache.png

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
what works for me to prevent battery loss at night.. If I have it on the charger at night or not I always put it on Airplane mode while I am asleep. Turning it back on when I wake up.. No battery loss when I do this. If it was on the charger I wake up with 100 percent if not on the charger its at whatever it was before I did this. For me there is no need to receive data or anything while I am sleeping.. And if someone really needs to get ahold of me then they can call on my lan line.

and it seems like my battery life is improving.. Yesterday I got over 17hrs standby time with 4 hours usage and still had 17percent left. I try to let it get down to almost powering off. Percentages in the single digits 95% of the time.

Last edited:

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to sound smug here but my battery life on 5.0.1 has been absolutely fantastic. It was pretty good on 5.0, nothing to write home about, but fine. On 5.0.1 though, I'm still at 51% and I haven't charged my phone since Sunday morning (it is now Tuesday afternoon here in the UK - according to my usage stats thats 2 days & 10 hours of standby), and have been using my phone about as much as usual. I used to get 2 days maximum out of a full charge but if this carries on I'm looking at 3 1/2, potentially 4 days without charging my phone.

So I have to say, well done Apple! :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77