Hackers Warn Jailbreakers to Stay Away from iOS 5.0.1

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hackers Warn Jailbreakers to Stay Away from iOS 5.0.1

There hasn?t been much talk in the jailbreak community regarding progress with either an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak or a 4S jailbreak. But we just received word from infamous iDevice hacker pod2g that, if you?re hoping for either one, stay away from the next iOS update.

Pod2g announced last night that the code-signing bug security expert Charlie Miller uncovered a few days ago could make jailbreaking ?dramatically easier.? And since Apple is aware of the issue and will likely patch it in iOS 5.0.1, he recommends not updating?

This makes things complicated for a couple of reasons. First of all, if you?ve been experiencing poor battery life with iOS 5, chances are you?re dying for the update. The new version of iOS is expected to fix the much-talked about battery issue.

Second, if you upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, you won?t be able to downgrade. You might recall a recent report by the Dev Team that explained why there isn?t currently a way to downgrade to previous versions of iOS 5, even with saved SHSH blobs.

And finally, you could be in trouble if you have a device that you haven?t updated to iOS 5 yet. Once Apple releases 5.0.1 to the public, it will stop signing 5.0. This means that you could miss the iOS 5 jailbreak altogether if an exploit surfaces that is iOS 5.0-only.

So, should you update? If you use your device daily, and can?t take the battery problems anymore, you might have to take your chances (you should still wait and make sure the issue is fixed). All others should stay away, at least until we know more information.

[Source - iDB]

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
in case anyone was wondering, you can downgrade from 5.0.1 beta to 5.0 (for now) i just did it

and re-jailbroke of course :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
my first attempt was just a restore and then i was stuck at the iTunes/cable logo

my second attempt i went into DFU mode and worked perfectly!

(shift+click restore and pointed to iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore both times)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ya shift restore would work because apple is signing 5.0 what happen when they stop ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Makes it doubly sticky for those of us with iPad 2 jb on 4.3.3! Do I update to 5.0 before 5.0.1--losing my jb in the process (and the ability to downgrade to 4.3.3, right?)--in hopes that 5.0 bugs will allow a jb? I'm torn.

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
You know what though? Apple was letting some people with severe battery issues have early access to 5.0.1, and I'm guessing that early builds don't have a fix for the code-signing bug. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that firmware just in case.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I saw that, I wasn't going to upgrade anyway cause it's just a .0.1 upgrade. I haven't had any battery problems at all so for me it's not such a big deal. I'll take my untether over the update any day.

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
This would be a little less complicated if the jailbreak could be released for 5.0 prior to the Apple update. I have an iPad 2 running 4.3.3 and I'm not sure I want to upgrade to 5.0 on the "hope" that a jailbreak comes out for it. If the jailbreak could be released prior to the Apple update it would make the decision a lot easier to upgrade. IMHO, 4.3.3 jailbroken is far better than 5.0 that isn't.

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
This would be a little less complicated if the jailbreak could be released for 5.0 prior to the Apple update....

Exactly. I don't see it happening though, because then Apple would put out 5.0.2 a couple weeks later to fix the bug/exploit. I'm not even convinced that being on 5.0 will mean a faster JB, since pod2g is hinting that they still have 5.0.1 covered and there's still the issue of them releasing it at an opportune time to maximize people's ability to take advantage of whatever JB they release.

Think I've decided to to 5.0 on my iPad 2 though....

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I feel that if they have a JB for 5.0 they should just release it. That would give those a chance to upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.0 and be able to JB without worry. Sure, Apple could close the hole with 5.01, but that's the way it's always been. The battery issue is getting press, but from what I can tell it's a non-issue for most, and those that do have the battery issues will have to make a decision.

If you wait for 5.01 to be released and then release a JB, won't you have the same issue with a possible 5.02 being released to close that hole? It's a cat and mouse game that never ends.

All I know is that I have two iPad 2s and one is running 5.0 and the other is running 4.3.3 with a JB. Guess which one gets used more? The one with 5.0 just sits there collecting dust.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Ya shift restore would work because apple is signing 5.0 what happen when they stop ?

i am not well versed in blobs but i am sure it will also not be something as simple as editing the host file and we're good to go

all of this is enough to make your head spin, that's for sure. i think what compounds it even more is the fact that us iOS 5.0 tethered jailbreakers will need to restore at one point and that's when **** will hit the fan

if these hackers cannot figure something out soon enough i may be sitting stock, for a long time coming

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i am not well versed in blobs but i am sure it will also not be something as simple as editing the host file and we're good to go

all of this is enough to make your head spin, that's for sure. i think what compounds it even more is the fact that us iOS 5.0 tethered jailbreakers will need to restore at one point and that's when **** will hit the fan

if these hackers cannot figure something out soon enough i may be sitting stock, for a long time coming

Funny part is I run stock .. I was JB on 4.3.3 far a bit but didn't really use the features ... I'm not against it at all I actually do it for allot of people .. And mostly use it for unlocking but I can see how this can put a damper on things and for unlocking

I would really like to unlock my 4s and use whatever sim I want ... But I think I'll be waiting a while since there's no JB yet and unlocks cant even start to develop until then

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
They aren't holding onto the untether because they want to maximize it. The bug has been found and they know that it will be patched in 5.0.1 which is why they are telling people already on 5.0 not to upgrade. They haven't put it out because they are probably still working on it. It's not easy to just throw it together and release the tool, just think about how much the tool does to get the phone Jailbroken. It runs quickly and seems simple so alot of people think it doesn't do much. Then they have to put a UI around it so that even the most simple user can follow the directions and click the buttons.

After 4 years of these same guys bringing out tools for each and almost every firmware I would say it's not like they're talking out their a$$ when they say they've found an exploit and it will work on iPhone 4s and iPad 2. If it was some new guy from some unknown group then there would be need for hesitation but IMO upgrade to 5.0 make sure you don't upgrade to 5.0.1 and that way when the untether is out you can JB without worrying about Apple not signing 5.0 anymore. This is just my 2 cents though so take it how you want.

The untether for the JB I'm willing to bet they're going to do the same thing they did last time where you run the tool and it makes the JB untethered without you having to restore the OS. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :D that is the fun part.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice