Don't knock it until you try it

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Bought my 4S this week and you know, I don't miss my Jailbreak from 4.3.3 on my non-S phone..

With Siri, I find it takes care of all the features that Activator used to do for me - yeah maybe it would be faster to press and hold the volume button to fast forward the song, but I'm learning to use Siri instead, and I'm not too heart broken about the extra 2 seconds it takes..

Previous to my 4S arriving, I had my 4 JB'ed with tethered Redsn0w, and I found iOS 5 was better without..

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Bought my 4S this week and you know, I don't miss my Jailbreak from 4.3.3 on my non-S phone..

With Siri, I find it takes care of all the features that Activator used to do for me - yeah maybe it would be faster to press and hold the volume button to fast forward the song, but I'm learning to use Siri instead, and I'm not too heart broken about the extra 2 seconds it takes..

Previous to my 4S arriving, I had my 4 JB'ed with tethered Redsn0w, and I found iOS 5 was better without..

I think JB is important for accessing hte Filesystem and changing new mail sound etc etc. Rest i think you are correct with ios5 makes it even less important to jb.

There will always be people wanting to jb (myself included) but i think apple is trying to make it so most wouldn't want to jb by including features in their official releases that are only available via jb.

I mean look it all the stuff they "took" from the jb community and integrated it into ios5.

So very "Antitrust" like.

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are definitely less reasons as of right now to jailbreak, but Bitesms is still enough of a reason for me to do it. I think Bitesms is life changing if you are a heavy text and tweeter lol..

My other major reason for using it is to tether. I always held on to the unlimited data plan just cause. I never came CLOSE to using even 2gb of data, but now that I bought the ipad 2 I actually have a reason besides being stubborn to stay grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. I still dont know if I'll ever use 4GB or even 2GB of data in one month (AT&T's alternative), but im still not giving up my unlimited.. lol

However, I was referring to the COUNTLESS posts of people complaining about an untethered jailbreak. I doubt if the great majority of them even tried a tethered jailbreak. It's really not that big of an inconvenience. And the fact that you can put the "RedSnow" jailbreak software on ANY pc enabling you to reboot wherever you're "allowed" to install the software makes it even that less the tragedy everyone is making a tethered jailbreak out to be. Im going on vacation this weekend and now I have to throw my netbook in the bag "Just in case" my phone freezes even tho my iphone is synced with my desktop itunes. Before trying the tethered jailbreak I never even considered that a possibility.

Currently Bitesms, Omnistat, and tetherMe are the only 3 Cydia apps I use, but for what a tethered jailbreak is that is way more than enough reason to do it. I used to be skeptic (maybe not as venomous) as the rest of these people, but then I TRIED IT..

Last edited:

Bob_B

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick questions about this....If I tether JB with Redsn0w and a few weeks from now (hopefully) untethered JB comes along, how easy is it to go from tethered JB to untethered JB?

Bob

Spdracer

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree that iOS 5 took away a lot of the reasons I jailbreak, but there are still a few...
1. BiteSMS beats the Apple SMS app in way to many ways to list.
2. FolderEnhancer.. iOS5 folders suck. I want more apps in a folder and folders in folders. I also like that fFolderEnhancer closes the folder on exiting the app.
I'm sure I will find more, but those are the two I am missing now.

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Quick questions about this....If I tether JB with Redsn0w and a few weeks from now (hopefully) untethered JB comes along, how easy is it to go from tethered JB to untethered JB?

Bob

I've upgraded to new jailbreaks twice. The first time was from one 4.0 version to another and with the help of this user guide (http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/01/upgrade-existing-jailbreak/) it was very simple and effective. However, when I jumped from the 4.0 jailbreak I was using to 5.0 I did experience a lot of problems, mainly because the old apps didnt mesh well with the new iOS5. I made this update fairly soon after iOS5 dropped, so many of the apps had not been made compatible with iOS5 yet. In the end I basically did a total reinstall, and I had to add all the jailbroken apps again. The legit apps and data all carried over fine however.

It is a good spring cleaning tho. You get rid of a lot of the apps you never really use. And App or Apt Backup (I forget which one) will save the setting of your jailbroken apps, so all you have to do is reinstall the apps.

So in conclusion, I would say that moving from a 5.0 jailbreak to a 5.1 for instance wouldnt be that painful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_B

Bob_B

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Biglu315. That's what I was thinking. I did take the leap and Tethered JB last night. I do have one questions...when I have to reboot, do I have to reboot on the same computer that I originally JB from or can I reboot from any computer that has the JB on it?

Thanks
Bob

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You can boot from any computer that has the RedSn0w software.. That's one of the factors I don't think people realize.

From my experience from this last jailbreak I would look up which programs are compatible with iOS5 before I waste time installing. I have a site saved from one of these forums that I'll post here when I get back hone in a few hours. Just install a program and if it messes up the os just uninstall it. There were some softwares that were supposed to be compatible, that werent working for me. If something goes wrong, don't panic, just reboot and uninstall the last program and everything will be back to normal.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Eh I don't want to rely on a computer to reboot my phone if needed. I'd rather wait until untethered comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob_B

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@ Biglu315, yea, I played around with the JB last night for about 3hrs finding out and reading on what works and didn't and what may cause probs. Still a lot of apps that need work. One thing I found out is that you (well I couldn't) have semitether and installous both working, you had to have one or the other, so I went with semitether. Fiverowicon was an issue and I couldn't get any themes to work properly.

Thanks for your info!
Bob

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
@ Biglu315, yea, I played around with the JB last night for about 3hrs finding out and reading on what works and didn't and what may cause probs. Still a lot of apps that need work. One thing I found out is that you (well I couldn't) have semitether and installous both working, you had to have one or the other, so I went with semitether. Fiverowicon was an issue and I couldn't get any themes to work properly.

Thanks for your info!
Bob

Yeah, I tried the semi tether but it didn't work with whatever I had on my phone, so I just uninstalled.. The semi tethered sounds cool, but I've done enough trouble shooting for now lol.. I'll stick with what's working. I'm really not to concerned about my phone restarting to much... I just won't go exploring cysia while I'm not home.

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Eh I don't want to rely on a computer to reboot my phone if needed. I'd rather wait until untethered comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine, but my phone hasn't restarted yet, so I've been able to enjoy my jailbreak for a few weeks now and when the untethered comes out I can move to that without ever having to rant and rave on a message board.

It's just not as big of an issue as people make it seem.. But you know what IS a big issue? Me having to stop everything I'm doing to reply to a damn text!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73