Photo "Albums" pointless??

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I dont get this.. i created an album call wallpapers, then moved some pics in there.. but they are still in the camera roll?? and if you delete from the camera roll... it deletes from the wallpaper "album"

what an absolutely stupid function!! you cant organize you photos at all?

I tried to sync in a folder from my pc with the wallpapers in it... and that creates 2 folders!?? with the same stuff??? again one main folder and the othe just "shortcuts"?

Can someone tell me if i an doing this wrong? I want to take items OUT of the camera roll (that are NOT camera pictures) and put them elsewhere, so I have just camera pictures....

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea this is annoying to me as well. Especially coming from webOS which is dying but still had a lot of functions implemented better.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
While i agree the albums could use work, I love being able to create custom albums. I have one of my duaghters for a slideshow and used another last sunday to teach youth at Church, I was able to use the slideshow/custom album to create a powerpoint presentation without downloading Keynote (which I want, just haven't bought yet). Hopefully this feature is tweaked and made better, but I like the functionality it brings.

xxplosive82

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
What if you plug the phone into the computer, cut/copy the photos to your iTunes Media folder, then do a sync to import. I treat my roll as a placeholder for photos I take until I can rename and distribute to folders like I mentioned.

Post #1 done lol.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I believe the albums function on your iPhone is just to provide some sort of organization on the device for viewing -- the pictures still reside in the camera roll and think of the folders as containing shortcuts to the actual pictures. Like a previous poster, I move all my pics off my iPhone to my iMac in folders (I organize by year and sometimes event) and then sync the pics back via iTunes. Then the camera is kept clear (saving backup space) and the actual pictures are organized and in folders.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What if you plug the phone into the computer, cut/copy the photos to your iTunes Media folder, then do a sync to import. I treat my roll as a placeholder for photos I take until I can rename and distribute to folders like I mentioned.

Post #1 done lol.

just in the root of the iTunes?
there is no photos folder in there....

Thanks!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I create my albumns in iPhoto and sync them to my phone and I can delete them from the camera roll no problem

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
just in the root of the iTunes?
there is no photos folder in there....

Thanks!

To get the pics off the iPhone in Windows I use Windows Explorer and in OSX I use Image Capture... removing the pics is not done through iTunes, to get them back via sync you use iTunes.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I create my albumns in iPhoto and sync them to my phone and I can delete them from the camera roll no problem

That's exactly what I did before iOS 5. But creating albums on the phone is supposed to defeat the
purpose of having to sync with iTunes. Which it does for the most part. But I'd like to delete pics
from the camera roll.

sd3sign

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I see the albums as more like tags. It's the same way that flickr works. You have your main stream, and then create collections or sets to help organise, but you can still look at the stream.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site

Post #1 done lol.

I believe the albums function on your iPhone is just to provide some sort of organization on the device for viewing -- the pictures still reside in the camera roll and think of the folders as containing shortcuts to the actual pictures. Like a previous poster, I move all my pics off my iPhone to my iMac in folders (I organize by year and sometimes event) and then sync the pics back via iTunes. Then the camera is kept clear (saving backup space) and the actual pictures are organized and in folders.

FYI, photos synced back to the iPhone from iTunes have never been original resolution (they have always been downsized). I haven't tested this yet with ios 5 & iTunes 10.5 but assume it's still that way. Maybe someone can test this before me.

xxplosive82

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI, photos synced back to the iPhone from iTunes have never been original resolution (they have always been downsized). I haven't tested this yet with ios 5 & iTunes 10.5 but assume it's still that way. Maybe someone can test this before me.

Didn't realize that. The only importing I've done so far was all the pics from my BlackBerry.

mbern1008

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Why iTunes on windows doesn't sync Camera roll?
It syncs everything else, why not photos?

I agree. I think the point would be you would put it into folders and when you sync with iTunes the pics would go to the computer. I am new to the iPhone but I really would have expected this functionality.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I did before iOS 5. But creating albums on the phone is supposed to defeat the
purpose of having to sync with iTunes. Which it does for the most part. But I'd like to delete pics
from the camera roll.

I see.. I guess im just not ready to give up the computer yet.. I like syncing with it

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The best way to get your pics off your phone to your PC is an app called Transfer. It uses your wifi connection and only takes a minute or so. I think it was $.99. Check it out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73