Why Jailbreak

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I guess I have 3 questions here about jail breaking:

1. What functional value does it have or what can I do(in general) that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise?

2. How difficult is it for a relative iPhone rookie to do?

3. What is the danger or down side of doing it?

Thanks...

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I guess I have 3 questions here about jail breaking:

1. What functional value does it have or what can I do(in general) that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise?

Thanks...

1) This question really depends on which iPhone or iOS your using. Because over time iOS has gotten better by implement things which started in the jailbreak (JB) community. Like Cut & Paste, Video Recording, even the first App store. But for now, the only reason I'll want to JB again would be to Tether my iPhone to make it a Hotshot.

2) It wasn't very difficult at all, thanks to the people on this forum and others who do video blogs. This coming from a guy who first jailbroke 10 months ago after having an iPhone for over 4 years.

3) The only downside I noticed was that my iPhone and iPad was a little less responsive (more with the iPhone then the iPad). The great thing is, if you don't like it you can always switch it back (Restore) which is just as easy.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

You can add apps from sources other than the app store

You can add 'short cuts' and change the way the phone works. Press the volume up button to compose a new text, respond to text messages without closing out of an app, start apps without unlocking the phone, stuff like that.

If you're decent with computers (can install a new program, can figure out simple problems by searching the internet, etc.) you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.

Some apps 'interfere' with each other, and can cause the phone to be buggy. If an app does slow down the phone, you can just delete it, and the problem should be fixed.

Don't be worried about the warranty being voided. If you don't like your JB'ed phone, you can just restore it to the stock OS, and all evidence of your JB is gone. Apple will then replace your phone (if necessary).

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 1 and th iPhone 4s. I was considering JB'g the iPad first just to see how well it works. Both have the OS5 (or whatever the most recent version is). I guess I'll star reviewing multiple posts to get a better handle on what I can do. I will say I haven't come across too much that I'd like to be able to do except get more direct access to files like ringtones or music. Coming from an Android I find it a bit frustrating not being able to do that.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 1 and th iPhone 4s. I was considering JB'g the iPad first just to see how well it works. Both have the OS5 (or whatever the most recent version is). I guess I'll star reviewing multiple posts to get a better handle on what I can do. I will say I haven't come across too much that I'd like to be able to do except get more direct access to files like ringtones or music. Coming from an Android I find it a bit frustrating not being able to do that.

iPhone 4s's cannot be Jailbroken (yet) :-(. I shelled out some big bucks for the 4s, I'm pretty disappointed I can't JB it yet. Hopefully something comes out soon...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think iOS 5 is still a teathered JB and 4S is a no go and I think ipad2 is a no also on ios5

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Even if it were possible, I don't think I'll go for it until I have a functional reason for it and screen appearance enough to it. Thanks for the input.

brittag

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You can browse Cydia's Featured lists from your computer for some ideas - cydia.saurik.com/featured/ - it's just that some parts of the website look funky when you see them in the browser instead of properly inside the Cydia app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh