wifi sync

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
how do i use the wifi sync on ios5 with itunes?

can i load new music etc without the cable?
it just says "looking for iphone" and times out.. nothing happens.

using itunes 10.5 and ios 5.0 on a mac 10.6.8.

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You have to first connect phone and load iTunes. Then check the option to wifi sync. Then on your phone you have to enable it as well. Settings>general>iTunes wifi sync.

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
there is no enable option on the phone just sync.

nothing happens.. it shows the phone. if i try to drag a song. it says "looking for phone" and then it stops showing the device on itunes all together!

wifi sync is ticked in itunes, manually manage music is ticked in itunes.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have found wi-fi sync to be a bit buggy and unreliable. I have tried it on 4 or 5 different iPhone/iTunes setups and it just doesn't work very well right now. I've seen what you are experiencing and with one iTunes (a Windows 7 install) was constantly searching for the iPhone and popping up error messages and then corrupted the syncing database on the iPhone. I would suggest turning it off until Apple pushes out an update.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The wi-fi sync is very buggy. I've done it successfully about five times out of 10. Then just now, when I plugged my phone up to the charger, iTunes kept saying waiting for sync to start or something like that. It then gave me an error message saying "iPhone could not be synced, session failed. So I unplugged it and plugged it back up and then I got the "looking for iPhone" message in iTunes. I'm just going to turn the wi-fi sync off for now.

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Manually managing synced items has nothing to do with it, as that's how mine is set, with wi-fi sync checked in iTunes. Once I checked the box (with the phone connected), I hit the APPLY button. Ever since, if my iPhone is on, it shows up when iTunes is opened, and I can drag songs and apps etc. to transfer with ease. Same with my son's iPad and wife's iPhone, whether they're plugged in to the AC adaptor or not... might check your wifi coverage/strength?

Usually transfers quite a bit faster than when connected by the cable, and I save the time of opening the otterbox flap, connecting the cable and waiting for iTunes to recognize the device. Now, once I'm in range, it will find the phone, and it's ready to transfer before I can get from the front door to the computer desk.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner