Apple missing the obvious for business users

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me that Apple is missing the chance to win over true business users. There calendar and reminder apps are nice, but are missing something truly important. Integration with each other.

The calendar app reminders for events don't even stay in the notification center as a reminder after the screen goes dark. They should remain in the notification center until the user removes them like the reminder app alerts do.

Their icould service doesn't even sync the full reminder options. The app has all the options, but the icloud site does offer all the features for reminders. What is the point of entering them on the site and then going to the app to complete the task?

The icloud site doesn't even allow you to import an address book.

Just a rant.

B

bonesb

I feel you, send feedback to Apple, right from the Help section in the iCloud home page.

Apple's got a fairly new Apple Business group available in their stores, with hugely better customer service than just a year ago. iCloud's not much of a business tool, at least I wouldn't put my company in their cloud space - it's only been running, what, 5 days, with millions of new users in just 72 hours? I'll wait for their product to mature first. I'm not being at all snarky. Third party vendors will be all over iCloud in no time at all - Apple only just released a final Xcode 5 late last week, I'm still poring through the revisions/changelog/updated libraries...

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For better or worse, that's how apple does things - they produce very simple things at first and then gradually improve them or they just see how developers innovate to fill their gaps. Look at the notes app - that hasn't changed much but there are tons of notes apps that give you plenty more functionality.

For integrated calendar and tasks I use PocketInformant - it's the best I've personally seen.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Ah, well trying to appeal to both business customers AND typical consumers is a tough gig. Personally, we use an Exchange server at work, so I keep everything that's strictly work-related on that.

As far as the iCloud site goes, it isn't really supposed to serve as a hub for your data. It isn't like MobileMe, where you could replace data on a particular device with data from the cloud. Each device is supposed to have the correct data, and iCloud is there to make sure you can get it effortlessly onto every device. With that mindset, it would seem to me that they would expect you to put contacts into the cloud using a desktop or iOS device.

To me, Reminders seems very basic, and useless save for a simple checklist. But, I rely heavily on Things on my Mac...so I guess it would. I personally like to keep tasks and calendars separate, but that's just my philosophy. Luckily, there are apps like Pocket Informant for those that prefer it to be the other way around.

Finally, I don't see what your issue with calendar alerts is. If your calendar is set to display in Notification Center, your upcoming calendar events are displayed in Notification Center. And if you have an alert that you missed, there is a little bell icon by that event until you view it, or the event passes. Pretty slick, if you ask me.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand the desire or need to integrate Reminders and the Calendar. Can someone explain this? I already get notified when I have a scheduled meeting on the calendar. I don't really want the Reminders app to notify me again.

I don't wear a belt with suspenders either though...

Seriously, what don't I see here?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I still don't understand the desire or need to integrate Reminders and the Calendar. Can someone explain this? I already get notified when I have a scheduled meeting on the calendar. I don't really want the Reminders app to notify me again.

You don't want to be reminded for calendar events, but the things you want to be reminded about have a place on the calendar. For example. I set a meeting on my calendar for November 4th at 3 pm. Fine. But what if I just need to go to the post office on the 3rd? I have to do it on the 3rd, so it needs to go on the calendar, but it's not an event - I don't need to create a calendar event for it.

I need both things on my calendar - reminders=tasks.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I would see reminders as essentially equivalent to tasks. I find it nice to see on my calendar that I have a task that is coming up in two days so maybe I can even get that done now. Also, it doesn't make sense to have it as an event on the calendar since that time should be available for someone to set up a meeting.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that Apple is missing the chance to win over true business users. There calendar and reminder apps are nice, but are missing something truly important. Integration with each other.

The calendar app reminders for events don't even stay in the notification center as a reminder after the screen goes dark. They should remain in the notification center until the user removes them like the reminder app alerts do.

Their icould service doesn't even sync the full reminder options. The app has all the options, but the icloud site does offer all the features for reminders. What is the point of entering them on the site and then going to the app to complete the task?

The icloud site doesn't even allow you to import an address book.

Just a rant.

Hear me out on this. It might be that Apple is very aware of the obvious and many of their users not.

Apple is no way in the league when it comes to enterprise applications, servers, groupware, messaging systems. Look at the market share held by organizations and professionals using Exchange, Notes, Oracle and the ever increasing Microsoft and Google cloud applications. In that context they've got it nailed - a good client that works with those systems.

Sure some iCloud features are a bit lame against the competition and I'm sure they'll get better.

Now look at Apple's operating margins, talents and staffing. It makes me think one would be a fool to put a lot of resources where margins will be lower, competition is high, and the competition is good stuff. The typical Apple "Genius" isn't so genius when put up against their enterprise counterparts with Cisco and Microsoft certifications. If Apple's smart they won't hurt margins or pick fights where they could spend $ billions on the race for 3rd place.

I've lost count of the iOS 5 users I've helped in the past week and none are having problems with their iPhones as Google and Microsoft messaging system clients so I think this is all good.

I see how the Reminders app can be handy for stuff that probably doesn't belong in a shared calendar. Again, I think all's good.

If Apple does miss one it might be not having an elemental way for iCloud host one's own domain but just adding that would mean the typical boys 'n girls running around in t shirts at an Apple store or on the phone will have to have training in area others already have done.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I get it now.

You guys want to view tasks on your calendar. Some of you want to view tasks with assigned dates and some want to view all tasks.

Since I have never done that with my calendar, preferring to treat the two separately, I don't miss that capability, but I get it now.

Reactions: Alli

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner