Wifi Sync Working without Power Supply

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My iphone 4 is staying connected to itunes even tho I have taken if off of the power supply. After disconnecting the iphone, it still stays in the itunes device list. It is actively syncing music, apps, or whatever on command.

Are you experiencing this? Do you know why I may be?

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
does the same thing for me. i like it. no wires =)

does the same for my iphone 4 and my ipad, as well as my friend and his gfs iphone 4

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My iphone 4 is staying connected to itunes even tho I have taken if off of the power supply. After disconnecting the iphone, it still stays in the itunes device list. It is actively syncing music, apps, or whatever on command.

Are you experiencing this? Do you know why I may be?

I think it's the new "normal"...

You can sync wifi anytime the device is in iTunes - not just when it's hooked to power... you can initiate the sync in iTunes, or from the device: Settings> General> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync> Sync Now.

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
So why does Apple stress that you must have the iphone plugged into a power source and what are the disadvantages to not having it plugged to one? I mean I've only been updated for a few hours, but it seems like it works fine.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just realized my post made no sense. Lol. I read the title wrong. I think they tell u to do that because it can be a battery drainer if u are syncing a lot.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
So why does Apple stress that you must have the iphone plugged into a power source and what are the disadvantages to not having it plugged to one? I mean I've only been updated for a few hours, but it seems like it works fine.

It's probably mostly a safety thing. To make sure your iPhone doesn't die while syncing. That said, my iPhone remains in the listed available devices in iTunes even after I turn wifi off. You don't have to eject it per se, but that's the only way to actually get it to go away from your iTunes sidebar. That said, I've never had a problem not ejecting it, so I think it's safe to say not doing so won't cause any harm.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
do not go throwing away your cable yet. you cannot restore using wifi only. so yes, a cable will in fact be needed

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
What are ur current settings in iTunes? Back up to pc or cloud? Allow to sync via wifi on or off? I wonder if some may think that it is syncing when it is really not. I just learned that if you back up to the cloud that it will do it automatically once you arrive at your home with wifi. But you have to have sync with wifi shut off. Otherwise, itunes constantly opens looking like its syncing but the sync fails.

Edit: when u have set to sync to cloud, it does not automatically open iTunes.

biglu315

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
What are ur current settings in iTunes? Back up to pc or cloud? Allow to sync via wifi on or off? I wonder if some may think that it is syncing when it is really not. I just learned that if you back up to the cloud that it will do it automatically once you arrive at your home with wifi. But you have to have sync with wifi shut off. Otherwise, itunes constantly opens looking like its syncing but the sync fails.

I have it as sync to computer and i have allow to sync over wifi on. It indeed works, because now whenever i drag music or add an app or something to the phone in the itunes device list, it works. Plugged in or not.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have it as sync to computer and i have allow to sync over wifi on. It indeed works, because now whenever i drag music or add an app or something to the phone in the itunes device list, it works. Plugged in or not.

Thanks for the update. I will need to see if this is the. Awe when using the cLoud as well

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Turn of the setting to auto launch iTunes, when a device is detected. That's why it's always opening and doing that.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Turn of the setting to auto launch iTunes, when a device is detected. That's why it's always opening and doing that.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

I tried that and it still did not matter. It still kept opening and listing devices but then failed to. On ext when I tried to change any settings for a specific device in iTunes. Everything seems to be good now

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
My iphone 4 is staying connected to itunes even tho I have taken if off of the power supply. After disconnecting the iphone, it still stays in the itunes device list.

This is the way the new Wi-Fi sync works. Your iPhone stays connected in iTunes and anytime it is plugged into power, is on the same network as iTunes and iTunes is open on your PC it will sync automatically. You can also sync manually from both iTunes and your iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner