Help with custom vibrations

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
iPhone/iOS noob here...

Coming from Android, one of the features I was excited Apple added was custom vibrations. I am however struggling to get them to work on my new iPhone 4S.

• I have Custom Vibrations Enabled (On) in Accessibility Options.
  • I have created a Custom Vibration in Sounds
  • I have set my 'Vibration' in Sounds to be the Custom Vibration.
  • When I get a text message or email or notification from ANYONE, I am still get the standard Apple mono vibrate. It is very short and very weak.
  • I've even attempted to edit contacts individually. Of course when I go to edit a contact and change their Default Vibration to my Custom Vibration, the vibration is already set to my Custom Vibration because that is what I have set to Default anyway. Even if I set it again for individual contacts, I am still getting the standard mono vibration when I get texts, emails, or notifications.

1. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have verified that Custom Vibrations are enabled and I have the default Vibration set as the Custom Vibration...but no matter what, the only Vibrate that ever happens is the single mono default Apple vibrate.

2. I have read on other forums that the custom vibration only applies to phone calls. Well, I don't get phone calls very often, I usually just get texts or emails. If this feature doesn't apply to texts or emails, I will be very disappointed. Can anyone confirm if they are getting the custom vibration to work for text/emails/notifications?

3. Bonus question :) I'm finding out that iOS doesn't allow a specific vibration pattern for the type of notification either (example: short bursts for texts and long bursts for emails - very useful when phone is in pocket during a meeting or while driving, nice to know whether you've received a text or email). This is frustrating. Does anyone know if this is available via jailbreak?

Any other information/insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

jsb15

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From everything I could find, it looks like custom vibrations are only applicable to phone calls and not any other notifications on the iphone.

That means that you might have to wait for ios 5.x or ios 6 for that.

The bright side is that you'll have something to look forward to!

Otherwise, I believe there might be an app on cydia for you if you choose to jailbreak your phone.

Reactions: templetonryecy

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
From everything I could find, it looks like custom vibrations are only applicable to phone calls and not any other notifications on the iphone.

That means that you might have to wait for ios 5.x or ios 6 for that.

The bright side is that you'll have something to look forward to!

Otherwise, I believe there might be an app on cydia for you if you choose to jailbreak your phone.

Thanks for the quick response!

Very frustrating if true. I can confirm that the custom vibrations works great for phone calls, but again, for me, that doesn't help a whole lot.

To me it seems like such a basic feature (using custom vibration patterns for different kinds of notifications, or at least different patterns for different types) I simply cannot believe Apple has not implemented this. These were essentials on my Blackberry and Android...

I guess I will be exploring the jailbreak world afterall.

Rhune

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I am in the same boat - was excited to finally have custom vibrations without jail breaking. I too am disappointed. I used "vibrafications" with my iPhone 4 when I was running 4.2.6. It worked great, so looks like I'll be jail breaking again when ios5 is untethered.

Rhune

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks like vibrafications is not yet compatible with ios5, so we'll have to wait for that to get updated as well as the untethered jailbreak. Thanks.

dbstudios

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Here is an easy to follow guide if anyone is interested

iPhone/iOS noob here...

Coming from Android, one of the features I was excited Apple added was custom vibrations. I am however struggling to get them to work on my new iPhone 4S.

• When I get a text message or email or notification from ANYONE, I am still get the standard Apple mono vibrate. It is very short and very weak.
  • I've even attempted to edit contacts individually. Of course when I go to edit a contact and change their Default Vibration to my Custom Vibration, the vibration is already set to my Custom Vibration because that is what I have set to Default anyway. Even if I set it again for individual contacts, I am still getting the standard mono vibration when I get texts, emails, or notifications.

1. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have verified that Custom Vibrations are enabled and I have the default Vibration set as the Custom Vibration...but no matter what, the only Vibrate that ever happens is the single mono default Apple vibrate.

2. I have read on other forums that the custom vibration only applies to phone calls. Well, I don't get phone calls very often, I usually just get texts or emails. If this feature doesn't apply to texts or emails, I will be very disappointed. Can anyone confirm if they are getting the custom vibration to work for text/emails/notifications?

3. Bonus question :) I'm finding out that iOS doesn't allow a specific vibration pattern for the type of notification either (example: short bursts for texts and long bursts for emails - very useful when phone is in pocket during a meeting or while driving, nice to know whether you've received a text or email). This is frustrating. Does anyone know if this is available via jailbreak?

Thanks

jsb15

This is a guide I put together to make this simpler. Hope this helps out everyone..

Create Custom iPhone Vibrations

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Nice guide, but I believe you're incorrect at the end when you mention that you can use the custom vibration pattern for incoming texts...as people are reporting here it seems only to work for calls.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
When I had an iphone 4 that was jailbroken on 4.3.3, I was able to modify a .plist file so that my iphone had a longer vibration length for emails, text messages, incoming calls and other alerts. b Now with my 4S and iOS5, the custom vibration length only pertains to an incoming call not text messages or alerts this is a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
iPhone/iOS noob here...

Thanks

jsb15
If you can't seem to fix the issue, a restore might be the only option. And as for the custom vibrations for different notifications, this feature might be added to iOS 5.1.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i have noticed, after moving from a blackberry, that the iphones vibe and audio notifications are horrible compared to what im used to. the volume of the ringtones are much lower and the vibe is nearly non existant. i too am hoping a fix for this is upcoming. apple really needs to add more customization to this.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner