TXT message alerts

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Found a problem after downloading iOS 5 in my iPhone 4 with the TXT and email alerts. When phone is plugged into USB port in the car, I can no longer hear a TXT message or email alert through the cars speakers. The phone rings, throught the cars speakers, but to be alerted of a TXT I have to now hold onto the phone to feel it vibrate.

I've tried everything I can think of in the settings even trying to go back to the old style alerts, but no luck...

After talking to some others, it might be a good feature for people who don't want their music interupted by emails and text message alerts. but this is a phone first and foremost, and it seems odd to loose a function on the phone part.

Anyone else having this problem? :confused:

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Same for me. It will play through the car speakers though if I am playing music. I have a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5SL.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the exact same thing over bluetooth. I won't get text alerts, but will get phone call alerts. I do think it works if it's on vibrate, but I don't pay attention.

Granted, I don't really care since I don't check messages that often, but it would be nice to glance at my phone and see who it was so I could then call them.

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
when your driving your car you shouldnt be worried about text messages and emails anyway

Thanks for the "remark" I'm very much aware of not texting while driving, however it was a feature that was there before, now it's missing. I am on the road for work, and can pull over to reply to an important email from work. We are here to help each other not reply with saracstic remarks. I cannot understand why poeple have to cut others with witty comments instead of helping.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a function of the USB connection - when I have my phone in my iHome dock, the same thing happens: it rings, but text and other alerts don't make a sound. Has been that way with my 3gs and now my 4.

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a function of the USB connection - when I have my phone in my iHome dock, the same thing happens: it rings, but text and other alerts don't make a sound. Has been that way with my 3gs and now my 4.
Yeah I've noticed that with some different cords, Apple cords and adapters work fine, but most time generic ones dont. But the issue is it worked before the update... and as soon as the iOS 5 was downloaded it stopped.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure as I am a NOOB to iPhone, but could it have anything to do with the settings. I just checked my phone Notifications > Message (or Mail) > Alert Style. There are three choices. Do you have banners selected? Try alerts and see if that changes the situation.

P S My initial reaction to your post was the same noaim's. It is more of a "Parental" warning/alarm thing than being mean or trying to put someone down.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure as I am a NOOB to iPhone, but could it have anything to do with the settings. I just checked my phone Notifications > Message (or Mail) > Alert Style. There are three choices. Do you have banners selected? Try alerts and see if that changes the situation.

P S My initial reaction to your post was the same noaim's. It is more of a "Parental" warning/alarm thing than being mean or trying to put someone down.

I agree with the bold its just the first thing I think of...

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
i noticed the same thing when i dock my phone at night on my clock.. the phone will ring if someone calls me, but it will not play the text tone. this is my first iPhone (4) and I've only had it for a few months, so I just assumed it was the phone. (it did it before i updated to iOS 5) ive gotten use to not putting the phone on the dock until after I've talked to both my kids (away at college) and i tell them if there is an emergency, don't text me call me!!!! so is this a problem with my alarm clock being its not an apple product? or a phone problem?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
i noticed the same thing when i dock my phone at night on my clock.. the phone will ring if someone calls me, but it will not play the text tone. this is my first iPhone (4) and I've only had it for a few months, so I just assumed it was the phone. (it did it before i updated to iOS 5) ive gotten use to not putting the phone on the dock until after I've talked to both my kids (away at college) and i tell them if there is an emergency, don't text me call me!!!! so is this a problem with my alarm clock being its not an apple product? or a phone problem?

its more then likely not a problem with your clock apple may have disabled notifications when docked... I cant seem to find anything on it though

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I've been all through settings when the car was sitting safely in the driveway, having a friend constantly txting me and shooting me test emails. I've been through all the Notifications, Message, Sounds General Settings, you name it and I've tried it. I've even tried it with different cords. Now I'm sure this might be trivial to some, but it was a handy feature.

I have it set in Sounds Settings to ring and vibrate.... and yeah I've tried it in the ring only mode with no success

However I noticed today the bluetooth works fine unplugged, but when I received a call while it was plugged in charging and playing iPod, and I could not answer the call through the steering wheel controls while it was plugged in on bluetooth, sound would only come out of the phone's earpiece. I only knew I had a call coming in becasue the volume dropped and the phone was vibrating in my lap. All these things worked fine the day before the update, and after the update, it just seems something changed inside my phone making the cord prohibit a few features.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the "remark" I'm very much aware of not texting while driving, however it was a feature that was there before, now it's missing. I am on the road for work, and can pull over to reply to an important email from work. We are here to help each other not reply with saracstic remarks. I cannot understand why poeple have to cut others with witty comments instead of helping.

Besides, can't you use SIRI to respond to text messages now?

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
when your driving your car you shouldnt be worried about text messages and emails anyway

That's why Siri was invented.....

Now to a productive, non trolling reply.

iVirginia, could it be that your phone got corrupted during the upgrade process? I'd try wiping the phone and reinstalling iOS 5 from scratch. The operating system is very stable, but there can always be a hiccup.

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
That's why Siri was invented.....

Now to a productive, non trolling reply.

iVirginia, could it be that your phone got corrupted during the upgrade process? I'd try wiping the phone and reinstalling iOS 5 from scratch. The operating system is very stable, but there can always be a hiccup.
I've to to wait until next October to upgrade to the 4s and then i'll get to try out Siri.

Thanks, I'll have to try that... was hoping to do that as a last resort. I've also nopticed that no alerts of any kind (calendar reminders or even other apps like Voxer that work like a walkie talkie) will give an audible alert while plugged into the USB port. I was thinking of uninstalling the phone from my radio's bluetooth, and reinstalling it. What's frustrating is no one else I've run into has a USB in their car that can tell me if it's happening to their phone too....

Thanks...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner