Why is there Photo Library AND My Pictures?

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I don't know why they are both there in ios5. They appear to be exactly the same thing. On my phone at least. Can I delete one of them some how?

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I don't know why they are both there in ios5. They appear to be exactly the same thing. On my phone at least. Can I delete one of them some how?
Am I the only one that has two "albums'? did I mess something up. I don't need two versions of the same pictures. Help please

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Are these icon titles on your home page?

Thanks for the reply.

No. I click on the Photos icon on home page, it opens and I have three items listed:
Camera Roll
Photo Library (70)
My Pictures (70)

70 being the number of pictures in each of those. But they are identical. I can't seem to find a way to delete one of them. I would assume it would be the My Pictures one, but I don't know how. I'm guessing it was a sync issue or something,

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
one is probably for the iCloud.

Good thought, but I "think" I have it turned off. (If that's possible) when I go to settings > icloud, everything is set to off. Should I delete my icloud account? I won't be using it.

Deleted the icloud account, didn't fix the photo "problem".

I am attaching a screen shot so you can see what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
All subfolders, e.g., "My Pictures", you've synched from iTunes is shown as its own album on the iPhone. If you have multiple folders, you'd see multiple albums.

"Photo Library" is a global view of all the pictures you've synched from iTunes. Essentially a second copy of each (though I think none of them are a physical copy - just a link/pointer to the actual picture).

Posted with Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is normal. Photo Library is ALL your synced albums in one place. Just checked my wife's 3GS running 4.3.3 and it's got the same setup.

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
All subfolders, e.g., "My Pictures", you've synched from iTunes is shown as its own album on the iPhone. If you have multiple folders, you'd see multiple albums.

"Photo Library" is a global view of all the pictures you've synched from iTunes. Essentially a second copy of each (though I think none of them are a physical copy - just a link/pointer to the actual picture).

Posted with Tapatalk

This is normal. Photo Library is ALL your synced albums in one place. Just checked my wife's 3GS running 4.3.3 and it's got the same setup.

Thanks to both replies.

So I can't change this?

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not an issue; it's not transitionary. Can't change it; can't hide it; can't delete it. It was like that under iOS 4 and hasn't changed in iOS 5.

It just is what it is....

Posted with Tapatalk

Reactions: vinndy

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. On my phone I have two identical sub-directories. One is called Photo Library and the other is called Iphone. It's called Iphone because that is the name of the sub-directory that I dragged photos into to download to my phone. And yes.. they are both the same so do they take up double space on one's phone? Or is one just a mirror image and there's only actually one image per photo?

But I've had some other types of issues too. First time, I downloaded 30 photos to the phone. I wanted to add more photos so I put 10 more photos in the same subdirectory on my computer that held the first 30 and synced again. I ended up with duplicates of many of the first 30 photos. I can't figure out how to delete them. I thought maybe I'd start with a fresh sub-directory for the next sync. I deleted all the photos in the iphone subdirectory on the computer. That did not work as it deleted all the photos on the phone that had been downloaded before. Is that typical? How do you add to your photo library from your computer without duplicating photos?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Photo library contains every photo you have. My Photos is some folder that is being synced to your phone. You can also sync folders from your computer or iPhoto. You can even create folders and put photos from your library into them. But photo library will always contain all of your photos in one place. It's same concept as iPhoto and iTunes.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Exactly...I'm not sure why people are so confused about this. It's the same thing as iTunes: you have your Library (or in this case Photo Library) and your Playlists (or in this case photo albums). Seems simple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2