Gevey Sim: Taking the Plunge!

rivenagares

May 12, 2011
fracturedminds.net
Gevey Sim on iOS 5: Taking the Plunge!

alright, so like most of you guys i'm super excited about the potential of iOS 5. unfortunately i am on tmobile and use a gevey sim to open up my phone. i currently have 4.3.2 with the 4.10 baseband.

i have been reading that if i preserve my baseband, i can upgrade to iOS 5 and still use the gevey sim, nice and smooth no issues.

can anyone confirm this? is this accurate?

can anyway walk me through the preserving my baseband?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rivenagares

May 12, 2011
fracturedminds.net
thanks @ redchirp.

the gevey sim has its own booting routine, will that change if i get the tethered jailbreak? if so, you're right i'll wait for untethered as i am a heavy data user and from time to time the phone freezes and i need a quick reboot to keep working.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
thanks @ redchirp.

the gevey sim has its own booting routine, will that change if i get the tethered jailbreak? if so, you're right i'll wait for untethered as i am a heavy data user and from time to time the phone freezes and i need a quick reboot to keep working.

Well actually I think the latest version, gevey ultra, has you install a tweak from Cydia, and upon boot I think that tweak does the 112 dialing in the background.

The problem is the tethered jailbreak. If you restart your phone with a tethered jailbreak, your phone will be stuck on the boot logo until you can get home, plug it into your computer, and do a tethered boot.

rivenagares

May 12, 2011
fracturedminds.net
I have the red one, the gevey sim pro i believe it was called. smooth booting, never had a single problem with it. my iOS is 4.3.2 and my baseband is 04.10.01

i realize that any change to my baseband effectively makes my phone an AT&T brick so I'm nervous about any changes, its why I didn't even change it to 4.3.3 because I simply didn't want to take the chance (never could find an iOS - baseband chart anywhere).

According to the Gevey site, it DOES work on iOS 5.0, the question is how do i get my baseband to remain the same whilst upgrading to iOS 5.0?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You would use snowbreeze to make a custom Ipsw file that preserves the baseband

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the red one, the gevey sim pro i believe it was called. smooth booting, never had a single problem with it. my iOS is 4.3.2 and my baseband is 04.10.01

Just to be clear, the iOS 5 jailbreak is different than the 4.3.2 jailbreak--with this one you'll need your computer to have a full reboot. (You can use Semi-Tether from Cydia to boot while away from your computer but will lose your jailbreak functionality until you do a full tethered reboot.)

rivenagares

May 12, 2011
fracturedminds.net
so.. i gathered information from a variety of sources and just took my chances and I now have an officially upgraded my phone to iOS 5, using the Gevey Sim. my baseband is secure. :-D

i used snowbreeze as someone mentioned (which was crucial to the information search).

i panicked for a bit when it told me my sim card was faulty, but then i realized I still had the tmobile sim card in, switch to the ATT card, and viola, restored perfectly. now to learn what's so special about 5.0.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So question ..say If the only reason you JB is to unlock for tmobile and you use ultrasnow can you go to ios5. ?Will the unlock work only when you boot tethered or will it work semi tethered? if you preserve your bb of course ..

jeans94621

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 on tmobile with the gevey sim. I am on iOS 5. I went back to stock because the jailbreak was making things difficult for me. One it was tethered jailbreak and two the gevey sim didn't seem to work as well. But to do either get the custom iOS 5 then download snowbreeze and follow the directions. You can pick option one which will preserve you baseband and you will be working with stock I highly recommend this option and then follow the directions on snowbreeze they will walk you through everything. You will need an AT&T sim card it doesn't have to be active but you will need it. And that is it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 on tmobile with the gevey sim. I am on iOS 5. I went back to stock because the jailbreak was making things difficult for me. One it was tethered jailbreak and two the gevey sim didn't seem to work as well. But to do either get the custom iOS 5 then download snowbreeze and follow the directions. You can pick option one which will preserve you baseband and you will be working with stock I highly recommend this option and then follow the directions on snowbreeze they will walk you through everything. You will need an AT&T sim card it doesn't have to be active but you will need it. And that is it.

So you use stock os5 with a grevy sim ? Doesn't snowbreeze JB in the process ? I understand the process I am very used to JB and Cydia snowbreeze redsnow etc .
What I don't get is I its stock you can't use ultrasnow can u ? I know you have to save your bb to be able to unlock ..but after you upgrade do u use ultrasnow of just no JB and use grevy sim ?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner