whats the status of Untethered ?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't want to burst your bubble, but the coming jb is unlikely to work for either the 4S or the iPad 2. The work that's being done has mostly been on the older hardware (iPhone 4 and below).

Reactions: tourstagefan

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 is still pretty buggy if you haven't noticed.
It make sense to release an untethered JB on the most stable build of iOS 5 anyway.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to burst your bubble, but the coming jb is unlikely to work for either the 4S or the iPad 2. The work that's being done has mostly been on the older hardware (iPhone 4 and below).

Well, consider my bubble burst. This no jailbreak thing is quite frustrating. Has there been any work towards JBing the new hardware?

iOS 5 is still pretty buggy if you haven't noticed.
It make sense to release an untethered JB on the most stable build of iOS 5 anyway.

My phone hasn't been buggy at all, works perfectly. iTunes on the hand is a different story...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
How do you know about the untethered status? Not doubting you, just curious.

Also, say Apple releases 5.2 (or whatever the newest ios5 will be), and then the dev team releases the JB, won't apple just fix it in 5.3? What's the logic behind waiting for the first update if apple would fix it in the following update anyways?

Anyways, I hope you're right, my 4s is full of untapped potential! Let's go Dev team!

I don't have any inside info but I follow alot of the members of the Dev Team and a few other sites closely knit with the group. I remember when iOS 5 was still in beta they tweeted that an untether exploit was already there they just didn't want to release it until iOS 5 was out. The reason they would hold it back is because usually Apple comes out with a 0.1 upgrade soon after a major release so 5.01 and they don't want the exploit to be patched so early. They want to do it when the thing has legs so if they do it on 5.1 then atleast it's a pretty solid OS. I remember back in the 1.x days waiting for Pwnage Tool to have a JB from 1.x for like 3 or 4 versions of firmware.

Reactions: tourstagefan

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any inside info but I follow alot of the members of the Dev Team and a few other sites closely knit with the group. I remember when iOS 5 was still in beta they tweeted that an untether exploit was already there they just didn't want to release it until iOS 5 was out. The reason they would hold it back is because usually Apple comes out with a 0.1 upgrade soon after a major release so 5.01 and they don't want the exploit to be patched so early. They want to do it when the thing has legs so if they do it on 5.1 then atleast it's a pretty solid OS. I remember back in the 1.x days waiting for Pwnage Tool to have a JB from 1.x for like 3 or 4 versions of firmware.

Word.

Any clue/speculation regarding a JB of the 4s/new hardware? I realize it's only been a week or two since the 4s has been released? I don't understand how the hardware effects jailbreaking, but apparently it does.

PS, kinda off topic, but if I had a tweak, say biteSMS for example, could I download it on my computer, and then manually copy and paste it to the right place on my phone? Or must the phone be jailbroken for it to work?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The jb is hardware dependent in the sense that the iP4S and iPad2 use a different chip that isn't vulnerable to the same exploit used in older devices. I haven't heard anything about a new jailbreak, but bear in mind how long it took to find the single exploit used in the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. If that's anything to go by, it could be a while.

As for manually installing Bite: .deb files can be installed manually (do a search for Cydia AutoInstall) and I actually prefer to do it this way--I save all my .deb files so I can use an older version of a program in case a developer makes changes I'm not crazy about or releases a buggy update. However, you need to be jailbroken in order to access the file system on the phone.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
rubbish, there's always going to be a patch somewhere-sometime. unless the Dev team explains what is going on then the only thing people are left with is they do NOT have one ready

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yes dev team blog will always give u rite update

true, BUT, other than some little hints here & there on twitter who knows what in hell is going on??

it'd be nice if they would give some sort of progress report. as it stands right now, we really do not know if they have anything place..!

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
wait till the 5.1 or 5.01 update rolls out.. if there is no untether soon after that.. that means it was bull**** all along and the dev team has nothing.

in the mean time.. start getting these guys(dev team) charged up! maybe like comex took the ipad challenge someone will take on the iOS 5 challenge, and give us all a untethered jailbreak!:)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The whole thing about an untethered jb being ready and waiting stems from something said by i0n1c, who isn't actually working on it (though he did develop the untether for 4.3 firmwares). As he said in a tweet tonight:

@TAv0X8 I never said the untether is ready.I said it is covered which means some1 works on it.Not my fault that my followers cannot read.

In reality, nobody has ever said that an untethered jb is yet available for iOS 5. I don't doubt that people are working very hard on it--and it's certainly possible that it has already been done--but the fact is nothing has been promised, and we simply can't know for sure.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i would have no problem forking out cash for every decent Untethered jailbreak if i knew it would be timely and bug free. i'm not afraid to spend the money. unfortunately there are A LOT of people who think differently

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
i would have no problem forking out cash for every decent Untethered jailbreak if i knew it would be timely and bug free. i'm not afraid to spend the money. unfortunately there are A LOT of people who think differently

Agreed?but I'll add that I'm continually surprised and impressed at the selflessness and generosity of the people that create these jailbreaks. The fact that none of them has tried to make money off of it speaks volumes about their motives. My hat is off to all of them.

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
i think the min they decide to charge for it.. it becomes illegal. long as its free.. i think it cant be charged as piracy (some loop hole in the law)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh