greenpois0n on 4.2.1; how to upadte into iOS 5?

engelous

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 3GS running 4.2.1, using greenpois0n, with baseband 6.15.00. It's also unlocked, and has to stay that way because I'm on a different carrier than the one I purchased the phone on.

I want to update to iOS 5, and I want to know if I can actually do it (I don't mind being tethered for now), and if I can, what's the procedure I need to take.

Thanks!

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can, but only on tethered.

Use sn0wbreeze. You will need the ipsw file to cook a custom FW, which also preserves your BB.

engelous

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

So, for the (hopefully upcoming) untethered version, I'll need to watch sn0wbreeze's website (it's iH8sn0w dot com, right?) for updates, until they upload a new version?

engelous

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the sn0wbreeze JB, but while trying to apply the custom FW, iTunes gave me the error "The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable.". I've looked it up and added a line to my hosts file according to the solution I found online, but if I do that it gives me error 3194. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Put it into Pwned DFU and try again.

Also you shouldn't need to add the gs line since you are not downgrading to previous SHSHs

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2