iMessenger thoughts

Rocky Racoon

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

You have to find someone with an iPhone, it will work like BBM with only another iPhone user.

mlg321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

You don't see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with? So you'd rather have to have someone's PIN number, a combination of numbers, letters, bar codes? And if you want to call them, get there phone number, as well?

It's set up this way because it is so easy to use. No asking around what people's PINs are, if they have a blackberry, asking for new PINs when you get a new phone. Like Steve says, "It just works".

isrararrafi

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i think this one will come in handy for ipad and ipod users more (like me) rather than iphone users who generally have unlimited messaging plan anyway

iLynn7

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
So if I am talking to someone that has an iPhone running 5.0 and I have their number and email address... at what point does the iMessage work? I have it turned on and everything.

Dean211284

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So we just send a text to the person and if they have ios5 it's sent via imessage if not we pay out of our price plan? How would we know if they had ios5 or not?

Rocky Racoon

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You don't see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with? So you'd rather have to have someone's PIN number, a combination of numbers, letters, bar codes? And if you want to call them, get there phone number, as well?

It's set up this way because it is so easy to use. No asking around what people's PINs are, if they have a blackberry, asking for new PINs when you get a new phone. Like Steve says, "It just works".

If I have someone's number, then ill send them a text. And I have (like most other people) have unlimited free texts so it doesn't cost me anything.

The only difference that I will notice is that the colour of the speech bubble will change.

DjEli#WN

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages

So you want to have to go to two places depending on whether they are an iMessage user or not? :confused: Apple made it simple just like everything else they do.

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Yes you are. Why would you want to have to collect an extra piece of data to add someone? That isn't better. That's worse.

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So we just send a text to the person and if they have ios5 it's sent via imessage if not we pay out of our price plan? How would we know if they had ios5 or not?

The "Send" button is blue as are the chat bubbles...

imess.jpg

Reactions: bigg22

vthokies

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess the point of iMessages is if you want to text someone in a different country or if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. Like many said before, it's like BBM.

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Delivered and Read receipts are nice. And it indicates when the recipient is typing back. Like BBM, only better. Because I communicate with many more iPhone users than BB users.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The reason iMessage is so good is that for those of us without iPhones, using something like an iPod touch or iPad with 3G (or Wi-Fi), you can text people who don't have a phone number.

Also, if the majority of iDevice users have iOS 5, you can see when they type, when they read your message, etc. It's a great feature which will shed more light as time passes. It's great on my iPad because I don't have to be limited only to a phone.

Blue = iMessage
Green = SMS

BiG BaLLA 923

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It isn't bbm for sure, but back when they did it in beta testing I knew that it was just going to be like texting in the application. It isn't anything special just tells you if they read the message. It is just texting.

PR1MO1

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is my issue. Say I update my old iPhone to iOS5 (or iPod touch), basically any device that I only use over wifi, then one of my friends who has an iOS5 device goes to send me a message, it's going to default to an iMessage right? (since the email address they have for me is the one I use for my Apple ID). This is all well and good if I am at home with my iPod Touch on wifi, but what if I'm not? If I'm out and about or without wifi access that message won't be received by me until I get home (or get wifi access somewhere). As I understand, you can choose to switch from an iMessage to normal sms by selecting the contact's phone number instead of Apple ID, but how does the sender know when the recipient is able to receive iMessages or not i.e. has a network connection. If I'm sending a message to someone who I know uses an iPod touch on iOS5 and has another cell phone and I want them to receive the message asap, I'm always going to chose sms as with iMessage I wont know how long it will be until they have a network connection.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh