iMessenger thoughts

puja_g

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If someone has an iPhone and they never have their data or wifi on and are on OS5 and you send them a text, and it gets converted to an iMessage do they not get a message at all? :confused:

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i said the same thing. it's texts with read receipts. Im hoping the elaborate more on it...

And as far as people saying it's so "less complicated" than BBM... A caveman can operate bbm.. ya'll just sound lazy lol

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
As of right now, I'd say BBM is less of a hassle to get working than iMessage. It's easy! You just exchange unique PIN's. iMessage is suppose to work without having to figure out pins, emails, yada yada. Instead I'm trying to figure out how to send an iMessage to other iPhone users via email addresses or phone numbers but it's hit or miss. I though "it just works." I'm frustrated!

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So if I am talking to someone that has an iPhone running 5.0 and I have their number and email address... at what point does the iMessage work? I have it turned on and everything.

When you go to SMS them, the send button will turn blue indicating that they have iOS 5 & are able to receive the message. Otherwise they will just receive a typical sms

Keen

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess the point of iMessages is if you want to text someone in a different country or if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. Like many said before, it's like BBM.

So if I'm in another country iMessage would be free with anyone else who has iOS5? I'm assuming iMessage is not running off my data plan? (I'll be on CDMA if that helps to understand what I mean)

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow - it's amazing how confused people are

- just text people at their phone number like you always do. If they have ios5 AND have iMessage turned on, it will Automatically send as an iMessage. You don't have to do anything.

- if the person has an iPad/iPod just send it to their email address (which they have to have told iMessage to use). Then they will get it in all of their iOS devices and can reply from any of them (including their iPhone)

- IMessage uses your data plan or wifi. It does not use your text message plan

- if you send someone an iMessage and it can't be delivered with some amount of time (5 min I think) it will send as an SMS

Last edited:

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow - it's amazing how confused people are

- just text people at their phone number like you always do. If they have ios5 AND have iMessage turned on, it will Automatically send as an iMessage. You don't have to do anything.

That's the problem though. I am texting my friends iPhone who has iOS5 and they get a SMS not an iMessage. It wasn't until I got by friends email address, that I could send an iMessage to his iP4.

Keen

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
how else would it run if it didnt count towards your text messages?

That's what I'm trying to understand. It doesn't seem like it counts towards your text message if the other person have iMessage also. So I'm trying to see if this can be a free way of communicating with people who has iMessage when I'm out of the country.

rigorkrad

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
flawed

imessage relies on the person receiving a message to keep opening the messenger app to see if any new messages are received. i find this unacceptable

differences:

when an iphone receives a text message (sms) you get the following features:
notification via a # badged on the messenger icon indicating you got a message
the default tri-tone text alert
notification on the screen, either a banner, a badge, notification on the lock screen, notification in notification center.

when an iphone receives a free message sent to your apple id you get the following features
a small tick noise
no other sounds
no other alerts
no other badges at all
you literally have no clue you even got a message until you actually look in the messenger app

be warned and tell your friends do not send mission critical messages via imessage that need a quick response because the other person who got your message will probably have no idea you even sent one.

however when i tested an ipad 2 i saw signs of notifications. so i believe this is a carrier restriction

:eek:

Reactions: chippy19977

Rocky Racoon

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
What???? It's ok for you to get the BBM code but not the phone number ?? am I missing something anyone ??

Ok, let me clarify my dissapointment with iMessage.

With BBM, you can add people to your contacts via a pin. Then, you can create groups such as 'work', 'football', 'my party' etc. You can then send them group message s to update them for whatever reason and that to me was was a great feature. Being able to send a messageto to 16 people saying 'football practice has changed to 7pm tomorrow' was extremely simple. You could also, if needed, block any of those 'pins' if you needed too.

Correct me of I'm wrong but iMessage can't do this, and this is why I'm dissapointed. As I iPhone user, I feel no need whatsoever in it. I have unlimited txts anyway so the only difference i will notice is the colour of the send button.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Imessenger really only makes sense for those using IPADs and IPODs. If you are messaging between two phones then it really doesn't make any sense to me what the difference is.
Well if you dont have unlimited text and everyone you talk to has idevices running ios5, then now you pretty much have unlimited text.

I think its perfect. Now i can text my international friends and text messages feels like im on instant messanger. Imessages send way faster then a sms too.

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I found a fix for my issue I posted earlier. I ended up importing my google contacts onto my phone. Then I had to edit each contact selecting "iPhone" instead of "mobile" next to the mobile number. Works now!

dougmcarthur

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages

I'm curious why you'd want it to be separate - would there be any advantage to having yet another messaging app? I think integrating it with text messages and using the person's phone number is the right route. The added functionality of iMessage is automatically built in when it detects another user on its network. that's smart.

dougmcarthur

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let me clarify my dissapointment with iMessage.

With BBM, you can add people to your contacts via a pin. Then, you can create groups such as 'work', 'football', 'my party' etc. You can then send them group message s to update them for whatever reason and that to me was was a great feature. Being able to send a messageto to 16 people saying 'football practice has changed to 7pm tomorrow' was extremely simple. You could also, if needed, block any of those 'pins' if you needed too.

Correct me of I'm wrong but iMessage can't do this, and this is why I'm dissapointed. As I iPhone user, I feel no need whatsoever in it. I have unlimited txts anyway so the only difference i will notice is the colour of the send button.

I think group messaging would be a welcome addition to iMessage. The features that it has now are still pretty great, though - it connects ANYONE on a device running iOS (aside from the iPod nano and AppleTV2). That's the great power in the iMessage network. For an iPhone user, this might seem like nothing but for everyone else out there using iPod touch/iPad it is going to bring the convenience of text messaging to devices that aren't otherwise connected to mobile networks.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That's the problem though. I am texting my friends iPhone who has iOS5 and they get a SMS not an iMessage. It wasn't until I got by friends email address, that I could send an iMessage to his iP4.

well, for sure, this is not the way it's supposed to work.

You sure you all have it activated correctly in Settings -> Messages?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR