Do I need to update to 4.2.10 before going to iOS 5 on my JB iPhone 4?

HPepper

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
My (Verizon) iPhone is currently on version 4.2.6. I am planning on updating to iOS5 when the jailbreak for it is released, and I want to avoid as many hiccups as possible.

I'm planning on backing up using PkgBackup for my JB stuff. I never updated the OS from 4.2.6 as I didn't want to deal with re-JBing it for minor updates.

1. Do I need to update incrementally or can I just go straight from 4.2.6 to 5?
  2. More specifically, do I need to un-JB my iPhone (restore to stock or from other pre-JB backup) before going to 5, or will the iOS 5 update install over my current JB state just fine? (I know that I lose the JB, I just mean wonder if the update be smooth).

Thanks.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1. You can go straight to iOS5
2. It's up to you really. Me personally over the years I've been JBen I just install the JBen updated OS. Then I restore from backup. However some people have problems so they start fresh by restoring and then JB and setup all over.

HPepper

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
@jeffrey101 --
  1. What do you recommend that I use to get my blobs?
  2. What's the advantage of doing that vs. just backing up all my Cydia stuff with PkgBackup?

@Ipheuria --
I'm not familiar with installing a JailBroken OS.
  1. Does that mean that the JB is embedded in a tweaked install package?
  2. Do I just download that (from somewhere?) and then point iTunes to that file when I do a restore?
  3. What does this method save me, other than having to follow the specific steps of a jailbreak?

Thanks to both of you for replying so quickly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2