iOS 5 GM Notifications

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I finally got around to installing iOS 5 and noticed one of my most used features of notifications is missing (or perhaps simply moved).

I play several turn based games with people in other time zones, and turning off notifications gave a respite from 3 AM alerts. Is there still a way to turn notifications off globally in iOS 5, or is the only option to juggle settings for each individual app each night?

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Answering my own question...it appears no.

So instead of one switch to flip when going to bed (or in a meeting), you now have 2 things to do in each app you want to silence.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
No, there isn't. The easiest workaround would seem to be to turn on airplane mode?after all, you're essentially doing the same thing.

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
No, there isn't. The easiest workaround would seem to be to turn on airplane mode?after all, you're essentially doing the same thing.

What I do is put the phone on silent mode, and leave vibration off. Unfortunately that also means that I will miss phone calls but at least iCloud backups, podcatchers and other data tasks still run while I snooze.

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, I cannot go airplane mode or silent/no vibrate because I am on call some nights. A global notification switch was a great feature for that situation, but it appears there is no good solution for this use case in iOS5.

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I cannot go airplane mode or silent/no vibrate because I am on call some nights. A global notification switch was a great feature for that situation, but it appears there is no good solution for this use case in iOS5.

If you are willing to jailbreak, there are solutions over on that side that provide "phone only" profiles.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

I see. That's definitely a downer. Luckily I'm no longer on call. What about switching off cellular data, then? That'd allow calls to come through, but prevent other pesky notifications. Although, like others have mentioned, that means no updated podcasts, etc. for the morning.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox