What will happen to iOS 5 GM Release when iOS 5 will officially Launch...

sMhsn

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What will happen to iOS 5 GM release when iOS 5 will officially be launched on the 12 of Oct, I have installed iOS 5 GM release on my iPhone 4, so will iTunes ask me again to install the update, can anyone help??

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The GM release is what's being installed at the factory for new phones. You won't do anything special when it's available through iTunes.

sMhsn

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I see thanks man, one more thing when I am clicking Software Update in settings menu it says "Unable to check for Update" again and again is that because of this GM release or its something else?, thanks again!

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that, like a few have been saying, that Apple will issue over-the-air updates days after the final release. They will want to get this just right, make sure that this big day doesn't have too many road bumps.

Like I said before, only one time I have seen two GM releases back to back before the final release. But, like Tim said, the GM is what was shipped to iPhone 4S devices, and I assume other devices as well. iPhone 4S may even have a slightly updated build by the time it ships out, or by the time it reaches your hands, if Apple decides they have to do that. Time will tell, I suppose.

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Will you have to restore to the old version 4.whatever then upgrade to final. or will the GM just update to whatever is new?

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Will you have to restore to the old version 4.whatever then upgrade to final. or will the GM just update to whatever is new?

The GM is what is installed by default on new phones. You won't have to do anything unless apple has an update for it since it was installed on the new phones.

You'll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The GM is what is installed by default on new phones. You won't have to do anything unless apple has an update for it since it was installed on the new phones.

You'll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Some people were saying i'd have to restore and then upgrade to the final version.

I think i'll put this GM on tonight. How long does it take to install it? Also if I do a backup before I do anything can I clean install the new OS then restore my contacts?

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't take long, once you download it. And yes, backup just to be safe. I'm thinking, if you've downloaded the .ipsw file, then it will only take roughly 10 minutes to install.

And technically every time you update the iOS (except once iOS 5 is on, over-the-air updates don't require this) you restore to factory settings, then afterwards restore from a backup. If you do it by yourself and not through iTunes, you basically do have to restore. The iOS 5 GM .ipsw file is what you restore to, then after it's finished, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or start as a new iPhone.

If you need help installing the update manually via iTunes, let me know. Otherwise, for most folks, it's a lot easier just doing it when Apple lets the general public update.

Last edited:

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't take long, once you download it. And yes, backup just to be safe. I'm thinking, if you've downloaded the .ipsw file, then it will only take roughly 10 minutes to install.

Alright. I have it downloaded on my windows pc but i'll send it over to my MBP and install it on there since that is how i normally connect my iphone.

How can i restore my contacts then?

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are installing build number 9A334. That is the GM. There are some expired betas floating around which say they are the GM...

---
I am here: Google Maps

When I look under the file properties it stats it's "iOS_5_GM_seed_iphone_4_cdma__9a334.dmg"

Is there another way to tell for sure?

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm assuming you are with Verizon? If no, the version you got is for CDMA which works only on Verizon iPhones.

If you are on another carrier using SIM card, you need the GSM version. Just a heads up :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks,

Some people were saying i'd have to restore and then upgrade to the final version.

I think i'll put this GM on tonight. How long does it take to install it? Also if I do a backup before I do anything can I clean install the new OS then restore my contacts?

Gold Master means its the final version

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh